Brake Swap 2500HD to 3500

shanz3n5

Question

I am trying to find out if it is practical and if it will make a difference to swap / upgrade the brakes from my 10k lb.+ 2003 2500HD.

I am the original owner and have only had to do my brakes 2 times. Now at 200K miles +, I have modified from a dailey driver to a camping rig. Built a custom steel utility bed and carry a pop-up truck camper. I know i am over weight but thats not gonna change so i gotta figure out the braking.

I have repacked the the springs and it rides nice. I am having the Banks Exhaust Brake put on this thursday, but without going to the $1600. + aftermarket big brake kits, can i just swap to 3500 brakes? I picked up the GM 3500 caliper and it appears that the pistons are slightly larger, which i assume is good, but it does bolt right up to existing cage. Are the 3500 rotors and cage bigger? and will they fit? Will this proviide better braking?

Thanx I need the help

John

2 answers to this question

SRW 2500hd to SRW 3500 its the same brakes. If you are talking DRW, the steering knuckles are identical but the rotors are different, as well as the pads and the calipers. So, the calipers might bolt up to the knuckle no issue, but I have no idea how the rotors would sit. Its the same bolt pattern for the rotors. For the rears, the knuckles (where the calipers mount) are different so not sure if the DRW calipers would bolt right up. Honestly, I'd upgrade what you have on the truck.

Archived