Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 concept marks return of legendary moniker

Zane

ColoradoZR2_1.jpeg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
11/20/2014

The infamous ZR2 moniker has returned. Introduced at the 2014 LA Auto Show, the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Concept offers a first look at what a from-the-factory off-road Colorado might look like.

ColoradoZR2_5.jpegColoradoZR2_4.jpeg

The first ZR2 pickup was produced in 1994 and was available as an option on the compact S-10. It added a beefed up rear axle, wider suspension track, larger BFG All-Terrrain KO tires, and four-wheel drive. Powered by a huge 4.3L V6, the ZR2 was unstoppable off-road. Unfortunately, when the S-10 was shelved in 2003, so was the ZR2.

Now, in 2014, it looks like it may return. Introduced last night in Los Angles, the Colorado ZR2 concept is modified extensively from a "stock" Chevrolet Colorado. Most dramatically, the ZR2 is four-inches wider than a factory Colorado. The ZR2 also has a 2-inch lift, unique front and rear fascias, flip out tow hooks, and electronic locking front/rear differentials.

Read here to see the official horsepower and torque figures for the 2.8L Duramax Engine

The Colorado ZR2 is all about off-road capability and is designed in the spirit of a pre-runner. New front control arms are paired with new shocks that have reserve reservoirs mounted in the front fascia. Approach and departure have been greatly improved over the stock Colorado's 25/21 degree angles. The ZR2 has a 30.7 degree approach angle and a 22.7 degree departure angle.

Main features of the Colorado ZR2 Concept

• Builds on Colorado Z71 as a platform
  • Four inches wider than production Z71
  • Two-inch lift kit
  • Integrated skid plates
  • 30.7-degree approach / 22.7-degree departure
  • Flip-out aluminum tow hooks
  • Front winch integrated with front fascia
  • Mono-tune coil-over shock absorbers by King
  • Electronic front/rear locking differentials
  • 18-inch aluminum multi-spoke bead-lock rims
  • Custom wheel flares
  • All new grille and headlight housings
  • New front and rear fascia
  • Cyprus Green Exterior Color with Henna Orange accents
  • ZR2 logos on exterior and interior
  • 2.8L Duramax Diesel / 181-hp & 369 lb-ft

ColoradoZR2_2.jpegColoradoZR2_3.jpeg

Chevrolet is giving strong signals that the ZR2 will be produced. See this quote; “Chevrolet has a heritage of the ZR2 representing the ultimate in production-based off-road capability and we’ll gauge the public’s interest in this concept as we continue to explore the possibilities for the all-new Colorado.”

As any current or prior ZR2 owner will attest, the idea that the RPO code could make a come back is exciting. Look for more details about the ZR2 in the future, tell Chevrolet you want one, and cross your fingers!

ColoradoZR2_1.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_2.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_3.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_4.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_5.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_1.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_2.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_3.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_4.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_5.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_1.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_2.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_3.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_4.jpeg

ColoradoZR2_5.jpeg

Some additional photos from the unveiling last night. Photography Copyright General Motors and Steve Fecht.

ChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow01.jpgChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow02.jpg

I also wanted to add that I used to drive a 1999 S-10 ZR2 and absolutely loved it! So many good memories in this vehicle. We sold it four years ago and I still miss it.

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00034.JPG

ChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow01.jpg

ChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow02.jpg

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00034.JPG

They'd be fools not to build it. If they do its got to be 95-100% the same as the "concept." This truck reminds me of the CTS coupe when the concept came out. It was 95% what was going to be built. This seems the same way.

Don't let Ford and Dodge rule the factory offroad market. Even Toyota stepped up their game.

edit: That picture with Reuss...he has that look on his face like..."so yea...we are showing you this and guess what...yea its got the green light for production and we are not gonna tell you...yet..."

Sounds like putting a car guy in a prime position has paid off like many people have stated since Reuss got that position. And the other execs seem willing to build some great products.

Some additional photos from the unveiling last night. Photography Copyright General Motors and Steve Fecht.

attachicon.gifChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow01.jpgattachicon.gifChevroletConceptsLAAutoShow02.jpg

I also wanted to add that I used to drive a 1999 S-10 ZR2 and absolutely loved it! So many good memories in this vehicle. We sold it four years ago and I still miss it.

attachicon.gifDSC00034.JPG

I too had one.. Best vehicle I've ever owned, never once got stuck no matter what you put it through. Made some good memories with it for sure. Mine was a 97, your 99 looks pristine in that photo.

My son has a ZR2 Blazer and I have had a few myself. I would like to see them bring back the ZR2 Blazer off this platform. Those SUV's they have now have no appeal for a working truck to me.

This is literally the first concept I'm digging from GM in decades!

I'm am sick and god damn tired of the Corvette and Camaro consuming all of gm's top design talent and attention! It's time for the truck guys to get tossed a bone here, you know GM, the customers who have single handedly kept your business afloat the last decade plus! Now lets also see a ss street truck concept that is more then just a sticker appearance package!

As others here I'm a former 1995 ext cab zr2 owner, horrible front ends because they used standard ball joints, pitman and idler arms that the regular s10 had but damn was it I fun truck to own and drive.

Archived