Volant cold air intake

I have a Volant with Donaldson dry filter. Seems like a well built setup. Installed it more for the sound than anything. If it adds any more power its not enough to tell by the butt dyno.

I'm mainly just doing it for the sound. Does it sound like the other "open" CAI's or is the sound muffled with the sealed design of the volant?

Your 2014 flows plenty good. If anything, just replace the resonator tube with a straight pipe to box and you will probably here more whoosh noises and smoother look.

I plan on doing that and getting the Airaid MIT tube. Not looking for a different sound, just less restrictive which I'm hoping will help with throttle response. I had a K&N intake kit on my 98 and it did help with acceleration. The other reason I got it was because you can go a long time between cleanings, but the stock filter that came on the truck can go 45,000 miles without changing so I'll stick with a regular paper filter.

The K&N my buddy installed sounded like the old days when we used to flip the air cleaner lid over and you could then really hear the 4 barrel on the Quadrajet open, pretty much the same sound as that every time he stepped on it. Yeah, it's a well put together unit, looks good and fit nicely, all things you would come to expect with K&N. As far as adding power, he pretty much admitted my truck with the stock air box had a better hole shot and low end power than his after he installed it. To me it's crazy to spend money to kill low end which is what you really want only to maybe gain a few numbers way upstairs, to me not worth the trade off.

As Carder mentions above, the late model trucks flow pretty good as is and have a pretty decent air intake noise in stock form, the folks outside your truck are the ones noticing it much more than you are inside the cab. I'd spend the $250+ on a chip or some other type of tuning that you will actually notice. An old trick if you want to mess with the stock air box is look for other ways to open it up. I've seen guys drill holes in the box or open up the stock opening to the box with some judicial cutting, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and will still get you the noise if that's what you're looking for. A few years ago Fram was offering a low restriction filter and probably still does so you could add one of those as well. I tried one, it was a bit noisier but added no noticeable power and needed to be looked at more often.

I've had a volant for years. It looks good but no one sees it. If it makes noise, I can't hear it over my exhaust. If it adds any power whatsoever I can't find it. That's not a condemnation of Volant, rather to point out that you shouldn't waste your money on any of the systems out there.

Archived