Well, I came to this forum with the same question in mind. There are several threads about this issue, and lots of solutions: replacing the bulb with a different bulb reported to be slightly better; replacing the bulb with the HID bulbs/ballasts/wiring, which involves more expense and time; adding LED driving or fog lights, etc. I cannot find just one answer... but lots of them.

The major thread is here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152762-hid-headlight-bulbs-hid-projector-retrofit/

What I want to see is for someone to sell a replacement headlight that does not use the projector set-up and provides better lighting at a reasonable cost, without the unreliability issues and installation complications I read are associated with the various HID lights. I don't expect GM to replace for free all of the headlights on the 200,000 or so 2014/2015 Sierras they have sold.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many "headlight sucks" threads do we need? There are already tons of threads on this subject.

because the best answers get scrambled bye the other garbage, I to have started a cpl threads becaus ethe idea is fresh, Ive spent countless hours reading and I get more confused, but after a year there are some fresh ideas and answers that get lost in the long threads,

I had a 2009 GMC Sierra SLT and I have noticed only a very slight difference on this 2014 GMC Sierra SLT. As stated above the light does not seem to spread evenly but it is more than sufficient for night time driving unless you have a vision condition. I get a lot of people flashing their high beams at me also and I have a completely stock truck. I would urge Pw1 to go have his eyes checked as he may have an undiagnosed case of glaucoma and be unaware of it. Night blindness is one of the symptoms..........................

I had a 2009 GMC Sierra SLT and I have noticed only a very slight difference on this 2014 GMC Sierra SLT. As stated above the light does not seem to spread evenly but it is more than sufficient for night time driving unless you have a vision condition. I get a lot of people flashing their high beams at me also and I have a completely stock truck. I would urge Pw1 to go have his eyes checked as he may have an undiagnosed case of glaucoma and be unaware of it. Night blindness is one of the symptoms..........................

not real sure whats up with personal attack but i am guessing you are leaving your office at gm and are trying to save face on these trucks. first of all i had a 2008 and the headlights were so much better that if you cant tell the difference you might be the one with serious eye problems!!!!! you are also in the minority in this thread if you can see well enough to read all the posts. and from what i read there many threads on this subject that i didnt find before starting this one. good luck and stay on the road

not real sure whats up with personal attack but i am guessing you are leaving your office at gm and are trying to save face on these trucks. first of all i had a 2008 and the headlights were so much better that if you cant tell the difference you might be the one with serious eye problems!!!!! you are also in the minority in this thread if you can see well enough to read all the posts. and from what i read there many threads on this subject that i didnt find before starting this one. good luck and stay on the road

Pw1 I am not attacking you man. I have a close friend that is in the late stages of Glaucoma. He ignored the night blindness symptoms for years and it is too late for him now he will be completely blind soon and not a dang thing anyone can do about it because he waited too long to seek treatment. I hope you can get past your anger and get checked for Glaucoma. When I read your post it just reminded me of my friend and how stubborn he was to go to the eye doctor.

I have several things that I am disappointed in when I compare my 2009 SLT to this 2014 SLT but the headlights are not on that list. Good Luck and yes stay on the road.

I use a lot of "glaucoma medicine"....I think the headlights still suck lol! [emoji23]... I decided to order the morimoto Sierra kit from TRS. Still still will utilize the stock projector, so it won't be as nice as a retrofit; but, still will be a vast improvement over oem, and basically plug and play. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a lot of "glaucoma medicine"....I think the headlights still suck lol! [emoji23]... I decided to order the morimoto Sierra kit from TRS. Still still will utilize the stock projector, so it won't be as nice as a retrofit; but, still will be a vast improvement over oem, and basically plug and play. [emoji106]

I just installed the morimoto sierra kit and its a huge difference. I have a 2015 and I am not sure if GM tweaked the headlights but I don't think they are terrible! Would love to put a 14 and 15 side by side to see if anything was changed by GM!

Anyway here are some pictures of the HID kit. First two pics are low/high on a dark road and then low/high in front of my garage.

0FEA5BE4-20FA-4E03-9826-3A1E20078C66_zps

D81090D2-C676-4D8B-9FAA-8FE14D082C0D_zps

C04C67B4-8084-4100-93B5-2EBA36A9A8C9_zps

017361D9-2802-4B57-9388-4A26E5763869_zps

I just got my eyes checked less than a month ago, no problems. I even paid for two new procedures not yet covered by insurance. I don't have any abnormal conditions.

I don't have any problems driving at night with several other vehicles, both cars and trucks. The lights suck in rural areas, with no other light influence.

Take those same pictures without the guard rails in both sides of the road.

My trucks lights cast light straight ahead ok, but very little to none past the shoulders of the road. Not a good feeling to have in deer country. GM can do better, and better be working on a fix.

I have a 15 MY, didn't own a 14 so I can't compare the two. I agree though that straight ahead isn't bad at all, but taking a turn onto a side road in the country can be challenging to see when you start the turn

Just another subjective opinion. I traded in a 2008 Tundra and my 2015 Denali has much less illumination. I do believe the Toyota had excellent lights for a "non-hid" or "non-led" design.

I had to drive about 200 miles at night right after picking the Denali up for the first time. I literally had some concern that only the driving lights were working and the headlights weren't until I got close enough behind someone to see the reflection. Those who say they are fine must have different lights or have different comparisons than I do. They remind me a lot of a 1995 convertible my wife drives.

Archived