It's not an HID kit its a LED kit. I think the ballast looking thing is what they are referring to as the controller to power them.

As far as a comparison, I'm really not sure as I sold my 35w Mori kit before I ever installed it. They have a comparison side by side on their site with one of the morimoto kits. The link to the LED thread has a couple comparisons as well. They won't be better than a true hid retrofit, but shouldn't be far off from the hid kits using oem projectors. I'll post plenty of pics soon as mine arrive.

-Britt

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed the Philips 9011 HIR bulbs last night. Had to trim the ribs from socket took about 10 minutes easy. Bulbs are much brighter than the standard 9012 have a much whiter look. They have a higher wattage draw 65 than the stock 55 watts. Hope the extra current draw does not damage anything. Think over all good improvement worth the $50.00 spent. Have the stock 9012 in the console as spares.

The two interior lights flicker when the car is in Drive, the headlights are on, and I touch the brakes or put the left turn signal on. This disconcerting at night... it doesn't do it for a right turn signal, only the left.

And it stopped doing it the other day while it was raining!

I think it is some sort of grounding fault. My plan is to check out the rear left tail light assembly, reseat the bulbs and check the connections. (It could also be a ground fault in one of the doors, but they don't have old-fashioned contact switches any more; they appear to have switches connecting the door handle to the control module!)

If those non-intrusive checks on my part don't cure it, it is off to the dealer with it.

Anything similar on your end?

Regarding the interior light flicker (headlights on, when touching the brake or putting the left turn signal on) -- the GMC dealer tells me there is a TSB for this item (the invoice cites DOC ID:4009590) and the solution is to order a new overhead console. Not sure what the problem REALLY is, e.g., ground fault, bad circuit, etc. -- but I am encouraged by the fact GMC knows what causes it and seems to have a solution. The part comes in next week or so!

Had my 2014 Sierra now for two weeks made the first long night drive last weekend could not believe how bad the headlights are. i stopped one time and checked to see if only the fog lights were on. Been looking at the HID kits they all seem to have too many problems. Might be fine around a city but i would not trust them between Anchorage and Fairbanks at -30. i just ordered replacement bulbs Philips 9011 HIR see if that helps. A very nice truck other than the terrible headlights. Hard to fathom.

I finally installed the 9011 bulbs in my 2014 Sierra, which is a wonderful truck. The new bulbs are better -- I'd say 20% better. Worth it for me -- since I am not going to go with a high-end upgrade kit (maybe later). Thanks to all for the suggestions and the directions on modifying the bulb base.

I finally installed the 9011 bulbs in my 2014 Sierra, which is a wonderful truck. The new bulbs are better -- I'd say 20% better. Worth it for me -- since I am not going to go with a high-end upgrade kit (maybe later). Thanks to all for the suggestion and the directions on modifying the bulb base.

Which brand? I NEED to do this.

Final comment: the driver's side is easy, the access cap on the back just needs a little leverage applied to turn it. On the passenger side, access is blocked by the air filter box. Four screws and the top is off; then the filter comes out; then you move the top out of the way (I disconnected it from the air intake and the wires on it, to make the next part easy). The bottom of the box is held in place by two rubber pins that push-snap into place under the box, so simply pull straight up on the box to make it come free. Then you'll have access a simple rubber shield with two pins, and then the bulb access cap under that! Easy enough -- maybe 30 minutes.

I've used Sylvania SilverStar bulbs in other vehicles in the past, so I queried Sylvania about the 9012 product:

"We are hoping to have 9012ST available next summer." was the answer I got late 2014.

This might be a decent alternative -

Drove a rural road for the first time at night. The low beams have no lateral throw, are out driven @30 MPH, and washed out by oncoming traffic.

The high beams were good to go.

Anyone else having this trouble?

Everyone is having that problem. Be sure to call your dealer and complain and file a formal complaint! There is a post on here where GM is finally trying something and none of us think we should have to pay for it. There are several posts on here about it and people spending hundreds of dollars to try to fix it.

I went to the dealer and the service writer adjusted them up. Said they are calibrated at the factory. I said that's not working out so well... I will test them tomorrow night but suspect my high beams will suffer. Filed a NHTSA complaint and will call GMC Monday.

I think you can alleviate the problem by merely readjusting the headlights a bit higher, but not enough to annoy the oncoming traffic. This will get you better coverage ahead.

Why the heck can't GM leave what works alone? (Nevermind, I know the answer to that question). My 2006 Silverado stock headlights and fog lights are really good. I never had to adjust any of them or replace a single bulb to date.

Archived