I am looking to get an AR style rifle in the near future. I was at Academy just looking around and came across Windham Weaponry.

From my quick searching it looks like Windham Weaponry is basically Bushmaster of old. How are these compared to the other major manufacturers (DPMS, Colt, S&W)?

I would add some other accessories and a quad rail.

I don't know if I should build my own or buy one and just add stuff? I don't want to spend a ton, just have a little project.

Windham used to make bushmasters back about 9 or 10 years ago, when bushmaster had some quality. Cerberus who bought the bushmaster name moved the company a couple of years ago out of Maine to new york taking the bushmaster name with them.

Cerberus layed off all the previous workers at the maine plant and sold the rights to the previous windham plant owner who hired back all the employees Cerberus fired and now makes windham weapons out of the same plant.

Basically what your buying is a quality ar-15 made in the windham plant that cerberus has no hand in anymore, just like how they were made about 9 or 10 years ago except without the bushmaster name now. Most people in that plant had 15 - 25 years of weapon making experience.

Cerberus group is a prime example of big corporations sticking their fingers where they don't belong. It's a shame what they have turned Remington and marlin into.

So a Windham rifle would be a good choice for a starter AR?

I thought I heard that the newest Remington's were not that great. I have a 700 ADL that I bought about 17 years ago so I guess I got a good one before they went south.

So a Windham rifle would be a good choice for a starter AR?

I thought I heard that the newest Remington's were not that great. I have a 700 ADL that I bought about 17 years ago so I guess I got a good one before they went south.

"Starter" AR...... That term bugs the crap out of me. If you want an AR platform carbine, do it right the first time and go with a proven manufacturer that uses the proper materials and does proper testing of their parts. If you want an AR just to say you have one, buy the cheapest one you can find, like an M&P Sport model.

Colt

BCM (Bravo Company USA)

Daniel Defense

Would all be great choices if you want a quality AR that's built right. All three come with the standard 1-7" twist rate that will stabilize a heavier/longer bullet.

BCM and DD also offer a few options that you will not find with the plain jane Colt. They both offer mid-length gas systems which have become really popular lately. They have less perceived recoil than a carbine and give you a little longer sight radius. They also offer CHF barrels, Colt does not.

If you are someone who is into 'pretty' guns, then the Daniel Defense rifle would be the way to go. They have a really nice dark black finish and it's flawless.

Windham Weaponry uses a 1-9" twist rate, and a commercial buffer tube on their rifles, unless you special order one and tell them you want mil-spec, of course that cost more money. Why special order something when the others do it right the first time?? They also use a lighter carbine buffer weight and only batch test their parts. The three I mentioned above use the proper 'H' buffer weight and test all of their parts individually.

No need trying to save $100 by buying a lesser rifle where the manufacturer takes shortcuts in the assembly process by not testing every part, and not staking all the nuts that should be staked. Don't make the mistake many do by purchasing an AR that's not done right, only to buy another a while later because your first purchase was a 'just because' purchase. If you need to wait a little longer and save a couple more dollars for a better gun, then wait, you will be glad you did.

I live in Maine... Windham weaponry is put on a pedestal because it's made in maine, it's made by locals and those guys are dedicated to their craft. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to buy a WW rifle. As far as starters go? your Cheap wal-mart/cabelas specials with cheap optics and carbon receivers are your entry level ones.

I live in Maine... Windham weaponry is put on a pedestal because it's made in maine, it's made by locals and those guys are dedicated to their craft. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to buy a WW rifle. As far as starters go? your Cheap wal-mart/cabelas specials with cheap optics and carbon receivers are your entry level ones.

Those POS plastic rifles you mention are ONLY made by Windham and Bushmaster. Funny you mention Cabela's, they sell pretty much everything but keep stock on the cheap ones that sell, DPMS, Bushmaster, Windham. They also sell Colt, Sig, and S&W but the prices are insane, same goes for Wal-Mart.

Im not aware of a cheap rifle made by Windham ( most MSRP for around 1k, even their "cheap" ones... you sure you have your facts straight?) Keep in mind we are talking about the lower, aka the receiver... The part that is actually classified as the firearm. The only one listed on their site is the one that's legal in NY and called "Carbon Fiber New York"

Not looking to argue BUT paying $1000 for a Windham that is not built to spec. and does not use the proper grade materials is crazy, and yes, "cheap". My facts are 100% correct on the WW & BM "carbon" rifles. The only manufacturers that make a carbon-15 are Bushmaster and Windham (of course the M&P15-.22 is plastic but that caliber is able to be used with that material and it works well).......There may be Chinese copies for sale as well but I am not sure.

The lower is no longer plastic on the BM but the uppers are on both and they are still junk. The lower used to be plastic but that didn't last long due to the beating it took from the .223/5.56 recoil. Now, only the upper receiver is made of crappy plastic and they break/crack. Cheap does not only mean price, in this case, cheap is in materials and assembly. When something is not made properly, it is referred to as cheap.

Just because WW wants that much money for their guns does not necessarily make them good, their MSRP is crazy and only a fool would pay that much.

WW does in fact produce cheap rifles. They take shortcuts during the testing process, take shortcuts during the assembly process, shortcuts in selecting materials, and then place MSRP at a premium when you can get a Colt, DD, BCM, LMT, Spikes cheaper than their insane MSRP.

It's your money so spend it as you please. I am all about supporting local business, and I think the Windham story is amazing BUT I can not get past the fact that they take shortcuts. If you are comfortable purchasing a weapon like that, that's fine but

I am not and would not suggest that brand for someone else, especially if they were looking to use it for home defense. Not sure about you, but my life may depend on my rifle every day at work. You can bet your ass I will have a rifle that is up to spec, uses proper materials, and is not short-cutted in any way. That's why my duty rifle is a Colt. I own several AR's and each one of them is properly built. I would not waste money on one that wasn't.

I am sure a WW would serve your average range shooter well but when it comes to really running the rifle and may need to depend on it to save/protect lives, I would not feel comfortable with it. Yes some Dept's may use them BUT they are given to them by WW FREE of charge. These are Dept's that have no money and can't afford better quality. It happens all the time due to budgets, and politicians who know nothing about the topic making decisions to try and save money.

The ONLY WW rifle that may be worth their asking price is the new .308. It's not even made by WW, it was designed and manufactured by POF USA who have been in the game for a long time and put out quality kits.

I feel the same way when it comes to optics for these rifles. There are many cheap red dot and reflex sights that may work fine for some people, even though they use cheap materials and have terrible battery life. People argue these two topics all the time and no matter how many times someone explains the quality aspect, there are people that just don't get it. Then there are those that try and justify their cheap purchase. There are pretty much three choices for duty/cqb optics, Aimpoint, EoTech, and the ACOG. Same for the rifles, if it's not up to spec., stay away.

Archived