Idle, Vibrations, and Hard shift

Hi everyone,

Well where do I begin........ I bought my new 2014 Silverado crew cab 4x4 about 8 months ago and this truck is nothing but problems, the idle is so rough it shakes the truck, the steering wheel vibrates between 40 and 50 mph, there's a wining noise coming from the motor sounds kind of like a pulley maybe. Now I'm noticing when I come to a stop there's a hard shift feels like the rear end or trans settling not to sure, but I've been to the dealer 3 times a Chevy dealer and a GMC dealer and all they said is everything is normal, quite honestly after paying $45k for a new truck and it feels like this I'm pissed! If GM is reading this please help me fix this some how because I'm done with this truck I'm about to go buy a tundra and my last 4 vehicles have been GM, I love my truck but I've had enough!

Thank you in advance. Johnathan

You are going to LOVE the Tundra!!! I have owned 15 GM's and when I switched and had zero, nada, zilch problems... I'm on my 3rd one in 7 years!

I kicked myself for putting up for so long with the BS. Its almost like we get conditioned to just keep bringing it back... what the heck...its warranted, and doesn't cost a dime this is great!!

I remember those thoughts like it was yesterday.

The reason I'm replying is I was so close to buying a GM truck but after following a few of these threads it was like deja vu NOTHING has changed!!!

The new trucks sure do look nice but that's about it, That all disappears when you see how much time your spending telling eveyone on this board how bad the trucks are.

Hopefully America will wake up and finally say I'm not going to take this anymore and buy reliable brands. $40 - $60k for a truck should be money spent on reliable products from companies who value repeat customers.

Its not made up if they can just figure out away to fix these problems. Do you have any of these issues?

Currently the only issue I experience is an intermittent idle vibration. It will soon be tuned to idle at 650 rpm instead of the stock 500 rpm. It will eliminate the idle vibes then. There is also a TSB that address the rough idle vibration. I had this done on my truck as well and it helped eliminate about 85% of the idle vibes.

The motor noise you are hearing is likely just the normal sound of the engine. These new trucks are direct injected, which tend to be MUCH louder than traditional fuel injection motors. They sound like a sewing machine, tick tick tick. 100% normal.

I've had some issues though with misfires and faulty spark plugs, and wires in the past. But I haven't had anything in a while.

My truck is rides smooth on the highway and around town.

My transmission was smooth before I tuned it, but It is tuned to have a bit of firmer shifting.

The general consensus is that the at-speed vibrations are caused by a variety of things. Could be tires, could be transmission, could be drive-shaft, could be rear end differential. There is a large thread discussion the at-speed vibes. Some people have gotten buy-backs from GM. Some people have had successful repairs. Some people have had multiple unsuccessful attempts at repair. Others just live with it. The vast majority of GM truck owners (not represented on this site) probably don't even know they have a vibration issues. The people who post on the forums exacerbate the issue saying that it effects ALL K2+ GM trucks. When in reality its probably less than 1% of the trucks are showing issues.

Short answer: Get the tundra if you want to be happy.

Long answer: If you are unhappy with the GM, lose some money, trade it in on a Tundra, and hope the Tundra doesn't have issues. If you keep the GM it will likely not be fixable as it really isn't "broken." Unless you have lots of spare time to hound the dealership and deal with GM corporate like some people who got buy-backs, I would just get rid of the truck and bite the bullet. But be damn sure whatever truck you buy doesn't have similar issues before you sign on the dotted line.

Good luck. Sorry for this rambling post.

Hey Johnathan,

We're very sorry for the multiple issues you've experienced with your 2014 Silverado. We understand you've made the dealer aware of your concerns but that they've declared everything to be operating as designed. Although we can't guarantee a different outcome, we'd be happy to reach out on your behalf and look into your concerns deeper. Please feel free to send us a PM if you'd like to discuss things further.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

I've had many issues as well with my 14 , most the dealer has fixed but some not. Like the drivability of this truck is the worst ever. The clunking , loose shifting transmission , confused is my worst complaint.

However I would never drive anything Japanese let alone a pos tundra.

Archived