Possibly buying new truck--500 miles home

I think the break in is something people worry too much about. Don't beat on it obviously but the day I picked mine up I drove home at 70-75. And commuted like that all through the first 1000 miles.

I think it was a tacoma there was a bit in the manual about not using the cruise control for the first 500-1000 miles of ownership but I had that truck like 10 years ago so i'm not sure.

Whenever unsure, consult your manual.

My truck was a dealer transfer from Atlanta Georgia to Johnson City, TN (roughly 300-325 miles) I'm sure it was all interstate driven with cruise as a dealer driver made the transfer. So far I have 6K+ miles and have seen no negative effects. Seems to have broken in really well with no oil usage or other break-in related problems that I can discern. Gas mileage is excellent. If you do it, I hope it works as well as it did for me. Good luck!

It will be fine. while they manufacturers still recommend the 500 break in miles I personally thing those times are long gone. Just drive it like you would any other car. Only thing I would not do with it is beat the hell out of it. Also like someone else said make sure you test drive it and look out for any vibrations / seat movement.

I picked my new trucks for (Survey crews) work and had to drive them back to home over 500 miles on many occasions. The last truck was a K2500 suburban and it was delivered to the state from the assembly plant, not from the dealer. I left Lansing MI with only 3 miles on the odometer and was on the interstate by 5 miles and driving 70mph + heading North to the UP of Michigan and was pulling a tandem axle arrow-board loaded with work signs and traffic cones. Drove the 'burb for over 100,000 miles in 3.5 years and never had a problem with the drive train.

My last two trucks, a 2008 and 1999 1/2, I flew to the San Francisco area and drove home to L.A.. The 99 went 225,000 miles with me and is still going at 300,000 with the second owner. The 08 is at 150,000 and my brother has it. Neither have had any driveline issues other than normal maintenance. When I was looking for the 08, I did a nationwide search. I would have driven it back across the country if necessary.

You'll be fine. emoticon_cheers.gif

Drive it like you stole it, oil pressure check, blast off. Most one tons Ive bought go the trailer store get a fifth wheel hook up. The next day they are working at max load. Gas or diesel no worries.

Manual also says stay under 55mph for the 1st 500 miles....I did follow it with my new AT a few months ago

Short spurts higher aren't going to hurt. Break-in is about varying speed load etc.

Don't forget you're also breaking in seals, brakes, transmission etc.

If you have time and can avoid the interstate the secondary roads and slow down speed up passing thru smaller towns will give it a great break-in.

Archived