Winter Tires

This will be my 4th winter on General Altimax Arctic studded winter tires on my 2011 and they have been great in snow and on ice. We typically get a lot of wet ice and heavy wet/packed snow here since it normally cycles above and below freezing daily.

I don't have any pictures because they are just a blackwall winter tire with a cheap painted wheel. They are for function not for looks.

I just put on a set of studded Nokian Hakkepelita 8 SUV tires on 20" Rockstar II wheels. The traction is amazing and they look great. Unfortunately Kal Tire is the only supplier of Nokian tires.

What kind of tires you guys are running for winter? Studded non studded?

Post some pictures!

Are you allowed to run studded in your area? From what I've seen most place that allow studded tires also have a time frame of when they are allowed to be on the road.

Now to answer your question, I don't get any snow, but does get chilly around here with some frost. I'm running Firestone Destination LE2 tires. Not real great off road but fantastic on road.

I'm running the following seasonal tire types/sizes on my '14 K1500 in Alaska:

• Winter Ice/Snow Tires : Hankook I-Pike Studded ; 275.55.R20 (Nov-Apr)
  • Summer Tires: Toyo Open Country xTreme A/T II ; 295.55.R20 (May-Oct)

I got 265/70/17 Yokohama IG51V on 17" GM silver steel wheels.

I'd really like to paint the wheels black with paint or plAstidip before installing them, but it's getting pretty cold. Not sure how that will turn out.

I live in Northern Vermont which does not have a "bare roads policy". We have a "safe roads at safe speeds" policy. Pretty much this means that you should expect to be driving ON snow any time there is a storm as the Dept. of Transportation is not required to get all of the snow off the road.

With this being said I have opted to run the Cooper Discoverer M&S on every truck I've owned. They are a very soft tire and offer great grip on cold roads and snow. I have had both studded and non studded on my trucks. Vermont does have a policy on studs stating that you are not supposed to drive them during the Summer months. I had my tires put on two days ago and went with studded again. Mainly because I get an extra winter out of the set by doing this. While they are great in the snow I would NOT recommend getting the Coopers (even non studded) if you are not going to switch them out in the summer. Because they are so soft, the heat and hot roads will eat them up quickly.

I will post some pics for you tomorrow.

I just put on a set of studded Nokian Hakkepelita 8 SUV tires on 20" Rockstar II wheels. The traction is amazing and they look great. Unfortunately Kal Tire is the only supplier of Nokian tires.

Kal tire isnt cheap either..

where did you grab the rockstar 2's from? i was just quoted $475 each on them...

Archived