Rear leaf springs noise

Look..I'm new here but so far, all I have seen from you guys is sympathy and no actual solution(s). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello Algonkin,
We are not trained technicians, so we cannot provide any technical information. However, we do offer our assistance with regard to working with dealership if we are needed. We also don't mind further investigating issues to assist with a resolution or for feedback to the proper team or department.
Best regards,
Andraya
GM Customer Care
Edited by GM Customer Service

Look..I'm new here but so far, all I have seen from you guys is sympathy and no actual solution(s). Correct me if I'm wrong.

They seem to be able to apply 'pressure' (in the background) to make some dealers 'rethink' their position on some repairs.

They seem to be able to apply 'pressure' (in the background) to make some dealers 'rethink' their position on some repairs.

...and I'm sure it's a good thing. Yes I agree now. I just was weary a bit after reading their replies. For the record, I meant no disrespect.

I used a popsicle stick to apply marine grade grease I use on my boat in between the leafs on the red truck I traded in and it worked till I traded in for the Denali (about 3 months). I did the same to the new truck just as a precautionary and no noise yet. My 07 has never made noise but I have rear lowering shackles.

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 2

I used a popsicle stick to apply marine grade grease I use on my boat in between the leafs on the red truck I traded in and it worked till I traded in for the Denali (about 3 months). I did the same to the new truck just as a precautionary and no noise yet. My 07 has never made noise but I have rear lowering shackl

Kinda weird when one has to personally resort to a greased popsicle stick to resolve a problem...just sayin'

Look... if it works, I would probably try it. *groan*

Edited by Algonkin
  • Like 1

Kinda weird when one has to personally resort to a greased popsicle stick to resolve a problem...just sayin'

Look... if it works, I would probably try it. *groan*

There is a tech instruction for the dealers to deal with the spring noise issue.

• Like 1

I was standing in my bed the other night installing me new bed cover and i was standing in a certain spot and could make my leafs on the driver side pop really easily just be jumping up and down a bit. I need to lube them up...gets annoying.

I was standing in my bed the other night installing me new bed cover and i was standing in a certain spot and could make my leafs on the driver side pop really easily just be jumping up and down a bit. I need to lube them up...gets annoying.

At first, when I was reading this, my first thought was...why the hell is he standing on his bed for... then I realized it was your "truck" bed lol!

• Like 2

I posted earlier in this thread, get the truck on a hoist and have a close look at the spring packs. mine had between 1/8 and 1\4" of lateral movement that was clearly visible and would cause a "clunk/thump" when backing up in a left or right turn, bumps or no bumps. We tried everything before replacing the leafs, a GM engineer came to pick them up for further inspection. this was a little over a month ago, no more noises and no bulletin or service measure issued yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think I was probably one of the first, if not the first person on this site to post about this issue. I've been having this go on for over a year on my truck. They still have not been able to fix it. I'm taking it back tomorrow. After this I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know anythING about replacing leaf springs with airbags?

2014 silverado z71 double cab

I think I was probably one of the first, if not the first person on this site to post about this issue. I've been having this go on for over a year on my truck. They still have not been able to fix it. I'm taking it back tomorrow. After this I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know anythING about replacing leaf springs with airbags?

2014 silverado z71 double cab

Have you or anyone at the dealership taken a look at the rear shocks? I too was experiencing a clunking noise coming from the rear suspension. Found out it was one of the shocks. I discussed it in this thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/170078-rear-shocks-replaced-question-regarding-compression-of-factory-ranchos/

Yeah they've checked the shocks. My noise is more of a metal on metal squeak. They've replaced both leaf springs and bushings and it still makes the noise. I'm beginning to think it's the incompetent dealer I'm taking it to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any further updates on this issue? My 2014 sierra slt 4 door short box has the same suspension noise as many have mentioned here. More specifically, mine makes pops, crunches, grinding when accelerating from take off. It's very noticeable when damp outside or raining. The noises come and go when dry but always there when moist. Mine sounds mostly from rear passenger side. I really can't believe that GM can't figure this out. It has to be a spring needing lube somewhere. I'm tempted to spray wd-40 in suspect areas but I hate to apply a bunch of lube that will attract dirt n dust and deteriorate the rubber bushings. Love my truck but a 45k vehicle shouldn't be making noises. Anybody figured anything out? If nothing else, if enough of us complain maybe GM will get on it. Thanks