2005 Silverado 4.3 dying once heated up

Hi, picked up a 2005 Silverado v6 for cheap that needed a valve job. I've got the thing running now but it will start to misfire then die after it gets near 210 temp. Up until it starts to run rough, it runs great, like it has no issues what so ever. 81k miles.

I've replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, ignition coil, ignition coil module and coolant temp sensor as far as electrical goes. Tested fuel pressure once I had the motor put back together and it tested 55lbs with almost no leak down after key is off. I did redo the timing cover and reused the old crank sensor. I read that it should be reset via scanner, but it's ran besides the heating up problem so I thought I just lucked out.

I was looking for the fuel filter on the truck "drivers side inside frame rail" and had no luck finding it. I ordered all my parts online and they sent me a normal canister filter with the threaded fittings but after calling the local store, they said it's actually a screen on the fuel pump? Can anyone confirm where the exact location is or is it part of the fuel pump? Pics would be awesome.

What else could be causing this issue once being warmed up, but have it run great up until it heats up?

Sounds like it may be choking itself to death upon warm up... Being an old carb guy, these systems baffle me but I have never really had any issues to deal with either... Could be a temp sensor somewhere that is not receiving and sending temp back to the intake/ECM to adjust air fuel mixture upon warm up. Hard to say without being there and seeing and hearing but....

Fuel filter "should" be on the driver side frame rail back behind the cab I would think but agree it would effect the start as well as any run if that were the issue.. When you find it, be careful taking it off.. Those fittings are a bear!

Sorry not much help but sending moral support until someone else chimes in for help..

If you can't find the fuel filter it makes me wonder if a previous owner just got rid of it... does it look like some fuel line was patched on the driver side frame rail?? If memory serves, mine is toward the back of the cab on the driver side frame rail. I'd be shocked if someone actually went through the effort to just delete the filter. :|

It would be nice to see LTFTs from startup all the way to when the truck takes a dump. I'm just curious if it's beyond fueling and possibly a bizarre vacuum leak when the system gets to operating temp. Could be a clog and the pump taking a shit tho...

Best of luck. Post up no matter what on what you find.

If you can't find the fuel filter it makes me wonder if a previous owner just got rid of it... does it look like some fuel line was patched on the driver side frame rail?? If memory serves, mine is toward the back of the cab on the driver side frame rail. I'd be shocked if someone actually went through the effort to just delete the filter. :|

It would be nice to see LTFTs from startup all the way to when the truck takes a dump. I'm just curious if it's beyond fueling and possibly a bizarre vacuum leak when the system gets to operating temp. Could be a clog and the pump taking a shit tho...

Best of luck. Post up no matter what on what you find.

I know with the v8's at least, starting in 04 they got rid of the external filter when they went to a returnless setup in 04. Just has the sock on the pump inlet

Archived