Opinions Wanted: Wiring LED light bar, designated switch in cab or tie

Hey guys, looking for insight and opinions from guys who currently have light bars installed. I have a T-Rex Torch Series Grille that will be here next week and want to have a game plan for when it comes in. I purchased the grille because I do a lot of driving in rural Vermont and wanted as much visibility at night as possible.

I am trying to decide if I should wire a dedicated switch inside of the cab and turn on the grille light manually or if I should tie it in to the factory High Beam circuit so that it comes on with them.

I apologize if there is already a thread covering this, I searched but couldn't find one. Please feel free to post a link if there is one. Thanks in advance.

Grn, I purchased the same grille - thanks btw! Smokin' deal at $408... Anyway I'm in the same boat; debating on how I should wire. As it stands my high beams are useless with a leveling kit unless I'm trying to look through the window of my next door neighbors upstairs bedroom.

With that said I'm going to do an independent switch that way I can utilize fogs still when needed (plan on grabbing some rigid D2's eventually)

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I did both. I put in a dual throw switch, one way gets signal from the high beam, the other way is straight on.

I like this idea alot. Do you mind sharing where you tapped into?

I did both. I put in a dual throw switch, one way gets signal from the high beam, the other way is straight on.

That is exactly what I was thinking about today. As Amiodynski said, would you mind sharing how you did it?

Grn, I purchased the same grille - thanks btw! Smokin' deal at $408... Anyway I'm in the same boat; debating on how I should wire. As it stands my high beams are useless with a leveling kit unless I'm trying to look through the window of my next door neighbors upstairs bedroom.

With that said I'm going to do an independent switch that way I can utilize fogs still when needed (plan on grabbing some rigid D2's eventually)

I also plan on changing out my fogs. Not sure if you saw or not but another member on here found that he could use the Rigid fog light bracket for the Sierra's along with some flush mount LED's from Infinite Offroad. Here is a link to the lights he used: http://www.infiniteoffroad.com/#!product/prd1/2709198591/2%22-cree-led-flush-mount-light-24w

They are MUCH more affordable than the D2's, $80 for the pair. That along with a $50 mount from Rigid puts you into the whole setup cheaper than one D2 light. Here is a link to the page with his install: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156170-led-fog-bulbs-lights/page-24?hl=fog%20lights

Where did you get the grill for 408?

Where did you get the grill for 408?

Sorry, just noticed they are all out of stock at that price. There were only 3 available when I ordered Wednesday. Still says that you can order at that price and it will ship when they come back in stock.

If you have the bucket seats with center console there is just enough room for two, maybe three switches just below the latch but above the snap in holder. I used in line wire taps to tap into the wires going into the BCM. http://amzn.com/B000K2C53I For the first input, I taped into #18 in the brown connector, it is a ground signal. The other I ran to a ground under the center console. I pulled the wire in thru the firewall through the top of the main wiring grommet. I ran the wire to a relay I put behind the air box. Here is the switch: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SRJ24A3HBBNNvirtualkey54010000virtualkey540-SRJ24A3HBBNN . Remember if you also do the rear pods, they are a 12v+ trigger. Let me know if you have any questions.

20141125_113946.jpg

20141125_113931.jpg

Love the way and where you mounted your switches. And thanks for sharing. I'm trying to follwo thru what you wrote out, and chance I can bother you to draw a quick scematic? Sorry if I'm asking too much, I can do better with a drawing then reading it.

Archived