Anybody run air bags?

I'm looking at getting a set of air bags for my rear suspension to help with hauling/ towing. I tow my boat and stupid heavy camper regularly in the summer time, and getting a sled deck for 2 snowmobiles for this winter. My truck doesn't really squat while towing thanks to the lift kit, but I think air bags might help with height and ride control with the weight of the deck and two sleds, especially if I'm towing a sled trailer too.

So, does anybody have a recommendation on a kit to use? Do they really make a big difference? Pictures of their set up? I'm not looking for an on board compressor or anything fancy, just a regular set I can adjust manually. Thanks guys.

I was looking at airbags last year for my camper runs. I ended up with a set of Timbren style spring helpers off of Ebay. There are pros and cons to both the airbags and the spring blocks and for the price and performance, I am pretty happy with the spring blocks.

I pull a 7500 (dry weight) camper with minimal drop in the back and no sway going down the road.

Just an option... Good luck!

It's not so the towing I'm worried about, it's the hauling. With the sled deck, 2 sleds, ramp, gear, and fuel, I'll be over 2000lbs in the bed.

It's not so the towing I'm worried about, it's the hauling. With the sled deck, 2 sleds, ramp, gear, and fuel, I'll be over 2000lbs in the bed.

The air bags are great I think. Easy to adjust. Most people put more air in the back tires before they tow so pumping some air into the bags isn't hard. I'd run a separate line for each bag. You can pump them up to where the pickup sits like it's unloaded. The problem I have with the overload springs is they can hit when you're unloaded driving on rough terrain and it really messes up the ride.

Same difference when your figuring either load in the bed or tongue weight on the rear suspension. A bag of air or a block of spring loaded rubber will both do the same thing for this purpose. Thinking the standard blocks are 3000lb capacity. The price of the air bags, installation, and up/down pressurizing just didnt make sense to my application... I can load the truck with dirt, rocks and tools or head out to the campground and not have to get the compressor out or stop at the station to adjust... My suspension never drops more than 1/2-1inch under load and all is good for me. They will work fine for your application but you may find the airbags are the way you would prefer to go.

I have firestones I got off Amazon, I'm happy with how they work, but I also got air sensors and made controls for mine using solenoids and my on board compressor, not sure I'd use them if I didn't have the sensors and stuff because you always need 5+ PSI and when I get in the truck every day they need to be refilled which would otherwise be a hassle. Other than that they handle load nicely and have more play in them under load than the timbren stuff because the timbrens are essentially rigid under load. Also as KS said, if the suspension moves enough going over a bump they jolt the truck.

Wow, I've never heard of the timbren bump stop springs until now. Seems like a lot less hassle. I don't mind a rough ride unloaded on a really rough road from time to time but do they normally hit with just regular driving on back roads? Most of my trucks driving is on back roads not highways.

You will notice a bit of a rougher ride when unloaded. The blocks are not engaged until the bed drops a bit. When it does (unloaded) from bumbs, it is giving resistance to suspension travel. Loaded, I am impressed. Like stated before, I went off brand, like 70 bucks shipped.. Still happy with them and if they deteriorate or show signs of fatigue, will more than likely get the Timbrens. So far so good!!!

I put a set of Firestone bags on the back of mine about a month back, havnt towed heavy with them yet, just a 20ft pontoon, but it does look cool when they are pumped up and the back end sits a bit higher. They do lose pressure after a few days but not a big deal to me and very easy to fill with the fill location next to gas cap.

Archived