Z71 Air Intake/Box Design?

My truck doesn't have the Z71 package -- I'm okay with that as I doubt I'll put Hill Descent Control to the test all that often, but I am curious about the alleged "high capacity air cleaner." I live in an area where roads get **really** dusty quite frequently. Would this be something worth pursuing and adding? Would love to see any close-up photos of a Z71-spec airbox, especially on a 4.3L.

Thanks for the help...

-Evan

Only difference is the filter is deeper. You can buy the high capacity one at any parts store.

Interesting. I shouldn't be, but I guess I'm surprised it's not anything more...

Just change the filter when it gets dirty enough to bother you, or when/if the filter indicator sticks.

Yeah, I planned on letting this one run its course before changing parts -- but filter indicator? Not sure my truck has that...

I don't think the filter indicator was on the 900-series trucks. My 2011 doesn't have it.

Regardless, all "high capacity air cleaner" has ever meant (regardless of year) is a filter with deeper pleats. It will drop into the stock airbox.

If you get a paper filter look for one that says for high dust conditions or heavy duty and things like that. Easiest way for me would look on auto parts store sites and find ones for high dust (or similar saying) and somehow write down the part #s. That way you know for sure instead of relying the parts store employees. Some know what they're talking about and others it's just a job.

99-13 z71's had it on the air box lid. The only differences back then were the lid with the indicator and the deeper filter.

This is the sort of thing I was wondering the K2XX Z71s have, but thus far it sounds as if that's not the case...

The Z71's have a high capacity air cleaner.

Yep, I know; it's why I asked my question -- I was just trying to determine what all that entailed. Bespoke airbox? Merely a different filter element?

From what I'm hearing, it seems it's only the latter.

Archived