Who would get the V6 instead of the V8 if the MPG were better?

At the current time the V6 and the V8’s get about the same miles per gallon +/- a few miles difference. If you didn’t need the power (towing etc.) of a V8 and didn’t care about the bragging rights of horsepower etc., how many "more" people would get the V6 INSTEAD OF THE V8 if the miles per gallon were better (with no changes to the current horsepower on each engine)? If so, how many more miles to the gallon (within reason) would be needed for you to get the V6 instead of the V8? Does the MPG matter at all when it comes to your truck?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would only get the V6 if it got crazy mileage, like 30+. Otherwise might as well get the V8.

this

it would have to be a noticeable difference in MPG both hwy and city and not a big loss in power and hold the same proven reliability, not like the egoboost...

i just dont think its really all that possible to get the city mpg numbers up there with the weight of the truck, and i dont think anyone wants it to be trimmed down in weight because that could sacrifice its strength.

yes you can skeletonize parts and they will hold their strength, but then it leaves them open to damage, which can in turn make those damaged points weaker...its give and take.

im interested in seeing how fords new frame does.

To me a V6 would only be about mileage on a full size truck. I don't see any other reason to get one. Plus, the bible says a truck should be V8.

But also supposed to be a carbureted 350, and it's not supposed to have to rev 5500 or better to make it's torque and hp :thumbs:

The way they have made V8s good on gas mileage I see no reason to even get a smaller truck unless that's just what you want. The days of getting a small truck or a V6 full size to save on gas is gone. I can easily get 22 or 23 on the highway while still in V8 mode and anywhere in V4 mode I can get better mileage than a lot of 4 bangers out there. Sure it's not in V4 all the time, but every little bit helps.

I've always had V8 full size trucks and I don't plan on changing unless I step up to a diesel (only if I really need one). The only way I'd get a smaller truck was if it was a second truck and I used it for fun. It would be a S10 ZR2 and I would probably want to put a V8 in that also lol.

Seriously?

yourekidding_zps6b7f85b8.jpg

So, a little lesson is in order. Horsepower is tied to piston area. All other things being equal, the engine with the most piston area will make more horsepower. So, a 300 cu. in. engine with 8 pistons will make more horsepower than the equivalent 6 piston engine. The 12 piston engine will make more hp than the 8 piston engine etc. This is because as the number of pistons goes up for a given displacement, the stroke must be shortened, and therefore a the ratio of piston area to stroke shifts to more piston area. It's pretty dramatic.

And we all know a larger displacement engine is less fuel efficient at the same horsepower as a smaller one, because....an internal combustion engine is more fuel efficient at higher BMEP (brake mean effective pressure)...because the fuel burns more completely at higher BMEP....and a smaller engine, by its size, must operate at a higher BMEP than a larger one to make the same horsepower.

Now, don't all you "torque" guys get all puffed up about your long stroke 6 piston engines. Torque is a measure of static force. Torque without movement will not accomplish work. Horsepower is a measure of work in a specific amount of time. I can take horsepower and manipulate the torque output with gearing. If I have a 200 hp / 500 lb/ft diesel and a truck and trailer weighing a total of 15000 lbs I want to get to the top of a hill, and a 250 hp / 300 lb/ft gasoline engine equipped truck with the same load, which do you think will get to the top of the hill first?

So, you can keep the 6's. smiley_quickdraw.gif

Well I bought a double cab v6 and my brother just bought a crew cab v8. I get about 2 mpg better than him. I got the v6 because I'm poor.

With all that said, I really love my truck. It has as much power (at least by seat of the pants) as my brother's old '13 5.3 and gets much better mpg. I don't tow a lot and I don't haul a lot so the v6 fits me nicely. If I could've afforded a v8 probably would've gotten one, but I don't need one!

Well I bought a double cab v6 and my brother just bought a crew cab v8. I get about 2 mpg better than him. I got the v6 because I'm poor.

With all that said, I really love my truck. It has as much power (at least by seat of the pants) as my brother's old '13 5.3 and gets much better mpg. I don't tow a lot and I don't haul a lot so the v6 fits me nicely. If I could've afforded a v8 probably would've gotten one, but I don't need one!

Nothing wrong with that, at least you got a Silverado!...But for myself I gotta have a V8 and for no real good reason to be honest except that I just like'em... :)

As the old saying goes, it's better to have and not need, then need and not have and I can't think of a better way this quote applies than when it comes to power and a truck. The mileage difference between the V6 and V8 in our trucks is negligible at best. If mpg's was my main concern, I would of bought a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. To answer the original question, the V-6 would have to get at least 22 mpg city and 27 city for me to remotely consider it. Unless you're buying a stripped down truck becasue of cash limitation, spring for the V8 in a full size or go buy a mid size.

I got the v6 because I'm poor.

I'm in the exact same boat. I know the 5.3 is more powerful and some folks here are more reluctant to surrender two cylinders than they would be certain parts of their anatomy, but for my use, drive cycles, etc, I couldn't justify the surcharge. And let's not forget that today's 4.3L is actually a *really* good engine...a far cry from the old 4.3Ls I grew up with eons ago.

But would I love it if the 4.3 were a little more efficient? Well, who wouldn't? ;-)

I drove a 4.3 with a crew cab and I'm sure the tall/base axle gears as it was a rental. I was quite surprised at how well it did. But power comes first for me so I'd get the V8 every time.

Archived