Electronic gremlins?

RushRoolz

Question

I have a 2003 Suburban 1500 and I have the following issues:

1) The air recirculating button does not appear to do anything. I push it, it flashes and then turns off. It doesn't seem to matter what mode the system is in.

2) The outside temp/compass indicator in the rear view mirror does not work. It worked randomly a couple days in the last year, so 99% of the time it does not work and has not worked in months.

3) I cannot use the remote lock/unlock key fob (yes I have replaced batteries and even bought a new one, etc). It worked when I bought the truck a year ago, but hasn't worked for about 9 months. So I lock and unlock with the key.

4) This morning the display says "Service 4WD" and none of the lights on the selector switch are lit. I am in 2WD now.

Issues 1, 2, 3 are trivial to me, just "nice to have" things. But I need 4WD. I had a minivan once that had some similar quirks and the dealer just reset something and it all worked again so I'm wondering if maybe something got out of whack on a computer board or something and just needs a reset? I'd like to have some ideas before heading to the delear for an expensive fishing expedition.

4 answers to this question

1) The air recirculating button does not appear to do anything. I push it, it flashes and then turns off. It doesn't seem to matter what mode the system is in.

2) The outside temp/compass indicator in the rear view mirror does not work. It worked randomly a couple days in the last year, so 99% of the time it does not work and has not worked in months.

3) I cannot use the remote lock/unlock key fob (yes I have replaced batteries and even bought a new one, etc). It worked when I bought the truck a year ago, but hasn't worked for about 9 months. So I lock and unlock with the key.

4) This morning the display says "Service 4WD" and none of the lights on the selector switch are lit. I am in 2WD now.

Issues 1, 2, 3 are trivial to me, just "nice to have" things. But I need 4WD. I had a minivan once that had some similar quirks and the dealer just reset something and it all worked again so I'm wondering if maybe something got out of whack on a computer board or something and just needs a reset? I'd like to have some ideas before heading to the delear for an expensive fishing expedition.

Nothing here that isn't common to these vehicles.

#1 - probably a bad actuator (do a search and you'll find a reset procedure to try)

#2 - going to have to replace the mirror to correct this (I have the exact same issue with mine)

#3 - try reprogramming your remotes

#4 - change the 4wd switch (common issue that is well documented)

I agree, first check fuses. Next check the battery connections/cables, especially the ground. Next connections for the system in question.

Finally try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and see if the system "reboots/resets"

For the temp, I would replace the temp sensor. I think it's mounted behind the grill and about $10-$15.

Sorry but the above 2 suggestions are not what to do ,

You have to get the TCCM scanned for a DTC ,

The switch is a common fault , but don't guess is my point ,

Could be 8 things .... Get me ?

Archived