New front end noise?

02suburbanZ71

Question

Recently i developed a whirling/ grinding noise while driving. It only does it going straight and it its totally random. It can do it slowing down or while speeding up and sometimes not at all. It seems to be coming from the front left but im not really sure. What should i check since it wont do it while turning

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah these kinds of things are tough to diagnose over the 'net. If the entire front end is good, then the sound is coming from elsewhere. From your description it does sound like the tranny ... but the resistance thing tells me it's something else.

Best way to check brake dragging is to touch all four rotors / rear drums after a good drive, and see what the temperatures are. Should be uncomfortable to touch ... but if you can feel the heat & smell the brakes before you even get close, that's a sign of a dragging brake. Normally the rotor will be hot but you shouldn't feel it in the wheel. If everything is real hot, that's a good indicator of a problem too. They should all be fairly close in temperature. The noticably hotter one is dragging.

Heres an update. I didnt have a change to put it on the rack at work but now i have a new problem. I had the mechanic fix my vac leak a month ago and he said my ps pump had a small leak. I did not replace it but tonight it was turning at the gas station and i got a loud scraping noise like metal on metal. Never heard that noise before so i did the same maneuver agan and it did it even worse. So i arrived at the bank and backed out again i had this horrible metal on metal noise and it still makes that whirling noise while going strait randomly. Whenever i full crank the wheel i get this noise. Can this new problem shed light?

Update! Dropped it off at the trans shop thursday and they took on road test and did notice "something wasn't right". They cant locate the noise but monday they are putting it on a 4x4 dyno.

Yeah these kinds of things are tough to diagnose over the 'net. If the entire front end is good, then the sound is coming from elsewhere. From your description it does sound like the tranny ... but the resistance thing tells me it's something else.

Best way to check brake dragging is to touch all four rotors / rear drums after a good drive, and see what the temperatures are. Should be uncomfortable to touch ... but if you can feel the heat & smell the brakes before you even get close, that's a sign of a dragging brake. Normally the rotor will be hot but you shouldn't feel it in the wheel. If everything is real hot, that's a good indicator of a problem too. They should all be fairly close in temperature. The noticably hotter one is dragging.

I've had it to the shop 3 times now they said they checked the entire drivetrain and all fluids. The truck shifts perfect too. The wheels do not feel warmer than another and it does not smell like brakes. Do you think the gm dealer could diagnose the problem without charging me an arm and a leg

Dealers around here get close to $100 an hour ... so that I doubt.

Looks like you have the same exact axle leak that mine developed at less than 50k miles. I haven't fixed that yet though. So far it's holding up ... knock on wood ...

I'd jack that thing up and check EVERYTHING underneath steering related. Could just be a bad CV joint, but check it all out anyway. I've seen improperly tightened caliper bolts back out and make a noise like that - caliper grinding into the wheel, on a vehicle this guy was trying to dump off on my buddy, LOL.

Can't remember if these have metal or plastic dust guards on the back of the rotors (probably plastic ... or gone, due to cost savings ... :lol: ) ... but back in the day they'd rot out, and while you were spinning the rotor by hand to seat the new bearings (totally different style than today), they'd get all bent up and make one hell of a racket when it contacted the rotor.

Could be the dust guard, or someone improperly installed an anti-rattle clip on the pads ... or any number of things.

Bottom line is in needs to go BACK without question, and THEY need to fix it. I can't even fathom how this happens these days. Doesn't anyone take test drives anymore ... or at the very least, SPIN the damn wheels by hand?? I would be out of business if I sent people away like that ...

The worst part is i just washed the vehicle, pressure washed the underside, and washed the windows... The whole thing is muddy as if you took it to a 4x4 club. That was the first thing out of my mouth when i walked over my jaw dropped. They said they took it for a test drive but the metallic noise only appears over 50 mph and the whirling is still intermittent

Update! Dropped it off at the trans shop thursday and they took on road test and did notice "something wasn't right". They cant locate the noise but monday they are putting it on a 4x4 dyno.

Do you have a floor shifter for your 4WD? I had that same type noise on a other truck I had and when I grabbed the floor shifter to see if that was making the noise I felt it in the shifter, and when I moved it to the right or left cant remember the noise went away so all I did was slightly bend it over some and never had a problem.

At that stage, I'd just run her till something busts. At least then you'll know exactly what it is. Sounds like a wise-assed comment, but it's true, unfortunately.

I've had a bad bushing or bearing in the front diff since 45-50k miles that wiped the seal out, so it slings gear oil everywhere by the spinning CV. Been waiting for that to grenade on me on a -10° day, while stuck in 2' of snow ....

The incessant clunk I've got (since new) at light pedal during the 1-2 upshift has been getting much louder as of late. 73k on the clock now. I'll be shocked if this thing makes it to 100k without exploding.

I miss my 40 year old cars that I didn't even give a second THOUGHT about getting me where I need to go. I guess this is what they call ... "progress" ........... :happysad:

Do you have a floor shifter for your 4WD? I had that same type noise on a other truck I had and when I grabbed the floor shifter to see if that was making the noise I felt it in the shifter, and when I moved it to the right or left cant remember the noise went away so all I did was slightly bend it over some and never had a problem.

No its auto trac [emoji19][emoji19] i wish it was floor lol

Archived