5.3 with 3.08 vs 3.42

Wouldn't be any faster because they limit the speed around 100, just quicker getting there.

How much faster is the 3.42 over the 3.08 ratio

With the 5.3

It's noticeable. I drove both before I decided on my 3.42. I did not like the 3.08. But if you do mostly highway you will benefit from 3.08 for a bit better mileage.

How much faster is the 3.42 over the 3.08 ratio

With the 5.3

If you tow, the 3.08 gears lower the amount you can tow to 6600lbs, 100lbs below the 4.3l V6 Ext cab I drive. My boat package weighs about 2500lbs so this doesn't matter to me, but if you tow and what you tow is over 4000lbs, I'd get the 3.42 gears.

I have 3.08s and hate them. I'm going to have them switched with 3.73s someday. I remember someone saying they didn't notice a difference, but others have so I guess it depends on how sensitive you are. If you tow then don't even think about 3.08s unless you only tow a small single axle trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Car and driver did a test on a Chevy and a GMC same year same motor. One did 0-60 in 7.2 the other in 6.7 has to be two different gears, now just add E 85 that another 3 tenths.

http://www.0-60specs.com/chevrolet-silverado-1500-0-60-times/

Car and Driver tested 7.3 sec ( I assume E85) and 7.7 sec for the 4.3l V6 crew cab, so it looks like the 3.08 gears make the 5.3l a half second faster 0-60 than the 4.3l with 3.42s. (instead of a full second faster when both have 3.42s)

The big difference is the tow capacity for the 3.08s vs the 3.42s:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-gm-lowering-2015-silverado-sierra-tow-ratings-is-1593184398

Most people probably wouldn't notice the half second 0-60 difference much (unless your driving style is start it, floor it) but the 2700lbs towing could make a big difference if you're towing trailers that weigh over 3000lbs..

I've read on other sites guys with 14 5.3s in a single cab with a tune getting in the 13s in the 1/4 mile. It would be interesting to see what a V6 would do with E85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the area I drive, even the 3.42 is not the ideal for me. I rarely get out of 5th in my 2013. It only gets into 6th a couple of times a month. 3.42 is just too tall for my needs. 3.73 would be a better choice. I guess it all depends on where a person operates the vehicle and what they are doing. With 3.08 I would be switching gears or trading for something else. I was not optimistic about the 3.42 when I got it, and my skepticism was well grounded. But that is my particular situation. Each owner's situation is different.

Given the area I drive, even the 3.42 is not the ideal for me. I rarely get out of 5th in my 2013. It only gets into 6th a couple of times a month. 3.42 is just too tall for my needs. 3.73 would be a better choice. I guess it all depends on where a person operates the vehicle and what they are doing. With 3.08 I would be switching gears or trading for something else. I was not optimistic about the 3.42 when I got it, and my skepticism was well grounded. But that is my particular situation. Each owner's situation is different.

I have the 3.08s and hate them. I plan on putting 3.73s in whenever I'm able to.

I've read on other sites guys with 14 5.3s in a single cab with a tune getting in the 13s in the 1/4 mile. It would be interesting to see what a V6 would do with E85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be nice, will have to try.

I have the regular cab with 5.3 and 3:42.

I never drove the 3.08. I knew I would not own a truck with that tall of a gear if i had an options.

In all my older cars and trucks a 3.08 to a 3:42 is a night and day difference.

If there isn't a noticeable difference the 3:42's are be de tuned.

I would have gotten 3:73 if they were offered.

i´m also in trouble with the 3.08 gears in my 2014 Sierra 4x4 and would like tho get the parts together.

After reading tons of threads i still have no idea what fits in this axles. my early 2014 Sierra has now GU4 and G80

here are my questions:

What is the type of the front IFS housing? 8.25 or 9.25

I have to change both axles gears.

What gearing fits in the front ifs? without changing the carrier?

is it possible to change the carrier in this 2014 IFS 3.08 housing.

What gear does fit in the 12 Bolt rear?

What type of axle is in the rear? 9,5 or other?

Do not want noisy gears, better oem style!

sorry,so many questions, but i need informations.

Thanks Frank

Archived