Question about Max Trailer (NHT) option

I'm interested in custom ordering a GMC with the NHT option but I'm a little confused. On the Chevy Silverado website, it shows that the NHT option increased max payload by 400 lbs.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500-pickup-truck/specs/capabilities.html

On the GMC Sierra website it shows the NHT only upping GVWR and Towing capacity, but not payload.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-1500-pickup-truck/features-specs/options.html

Can anyone with the NHT option on a 2014-2015 Sierra confirm that they got a 400 lb increase in payload? I want to tow a trailer with a ATV in the bed, so payload is really important to me.

Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shows the 400lb gain on the chevy page. Which means the GMC should be the same. I have a 14 with the option. I can tell you that you cant get Z71 with NHT, which in my opinion the Z71 option has become worthless.

If anything is going to make a difference its the gearing, length of bed and what kind of cab your getting. Crew cab will diminish your payload.

Plan on your dry weight being right around 5700 lbs with a CC/Standard bed 4x4 ltz/sunroof etc. That leaves ~1900lbs. Accounting for people and fuel you'll be about 6500. So that's 1100 lbs for payload and tongue to stay below your RGAWR and GVWR.

Plan on your dry weight being right around 5700 lbs with a CC/Standard bed 4x4 ltz/sunroof etc. That leaves ~1900lbs. Accounting for people and fuel you'll be about 6500. So that's 1100 lbs for payload and tongue to stay below your RGAWR and GVWR.

One thing that Im not quite sure on is fuel, is that counted in curb weight? or not? Either way gas weighs 6lbs per gallon, well it can weigh more or less depending on temp, but 6lbs is a good number to use. But I you might be a little generous on only saying 6500. As four adults fully clothed is usually 200lbs per. Factor in bags, gear for each person, the fact your glove box etc has junk I usually like say with 4 adults your talking 1000lbs in your truck. 2 adults two kids. I think you might be at your figure. But a half ton fully loaded you only have about 6-800lbs in my mind to load after people.

One thing that Im not quite sure on is fuel, is that counted in curb weight? or not? Either way gas weighs 6lbs per gallon, well it can weigh more or less depending on temp, but 6lbs is a good number to use. But I you might be a little generous on only saying 6500. As four adults fully clothed is usually 200lbs per. Factor in bags, gear for each person, the fact your glove box etc has junk I usually like say with 4 adults your talking 1000lbs in your truck. 2 adults two kids. I think you might be at your figure. But a half ton fully loaded you only have about 6-800lbs in my mind to load after people.

The fleet site has option weights only. I presume it's all the fluids but fuel. In your situation you're probably right on the weight front. For our family we have one more person than seats in the truck so we take two vehicles everywhere. 26*6.3 ~ 164lbs plus 430 lbs of self-loading baggage plus about 200lbs of bikes, coolers etc. All of our stuff that fits is loaded in the RV but with the massive tw it still puts us over our gvwr but under the gcvwr

Note 1 refers to SLE

Note 2 is for SLT

Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, (GT4) 3.73 rear axle ratio, with (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission, (JL1) trailer brake controller, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR

1 - Includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on 2WD models (already standard on 4WD models) and Z82 Trailering Package. Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (DPN) power camper mirrors. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package. Includes (UHN) 18" X 8.5" bright-machined aluminum wheels. Requires (RBX/RBW) 18" tires or may upgrade to (RD3) 20" ultra bright machined aluminum wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires.

2 - Requires (RBX/RBW) 18" tires or may upgrade to (NZM) 20" chrome wheels with either (RC7) or (QSS) 20" tires. With (L86) 6.2L engine, requires (NZM) 20" chrome wheels with (QSS) 20" tires. Requires (DQS) power adjustable, power folding camper mirrors. Not available with (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package.

2wd NHT - 7400

4wd NHT - 7600

C6C NEW! GVWR, 7400 lbs. (3357 kg)
1 - Requires 2WD and (NHT) Max Trailering Package. -- A1 A1
C6G NEW! GVWR, 7600 lbs. (3447 kg)
1 - Requires 4WD and (NHT) Max Trailering Package.
For both RPO's, Note 1 is for SLE and SLT (not avail on work truck)

Archived