Truck won't start at times.

an2nez

Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado. At times it won't start and I have to tap on the alternator of a few times and then it will start. I was told that it might be the bearings sticking and ready to go out. So I replaced the alternator with a new one. Only problem, I have the same problem. It still won't start at times and I'm back to having to tap the alternator. Please help me in finding the solution.

9 answers to this question

There is no connection between the alternator and the truck starting. You can even remove the alternator, and the truck will start. I think what you have is a bad ground cable. Take a good look at the battery ground cable where it attaches to the engine. Take it off the engine, and bend and flex the cable while looking where the cable actually contacts the crimped on end. If you see any corrosion powder coming out of the connector attachment point replace the cable.

I bet it's the starter. Had the same thing happen to me. Batteries were just old enough to make me think they were bad, but they still passed the test. Thought it was the Alternator (that I just replaced a year ago), but it was fine as well. They looked at the starter, and the wires on the solenoid were corroded preventing a solid contact. New starter......not a problem since.

Don't say that to people , they might just go and replace it lol, then when it fails (doesn't go bad btw) it's your fault !!!! Lol

But hey it maybe fun to see if people actually do it so carry on !!! Lol

I thank you guys for your feedback, but unfortunately after running my truck for a few days, the same problem started occurring. I am back at tapping the alternator (I know it's not the problem) so that my truck will start. Any other solutions?

Just take it to a shop, you've hemmeraged enough cash ,

Strangest thing I've heard is the tapping of the alternator lol

In addition to above advice I would also pull your starter and have it tested. As said, no connection between alternator and truck starting.

Did you try this? It could be the solenoid contacts and/or starter brushes are shot internally.

I thank you guys for your feedback, but unfortunately after running my truck for a few days, the same problem started occurring. I am back at tapping the alternator (I know it's not the problem) so that my truck will start. Any other solutions?

I bet it's the starter. Had the same thing happen to me. Batteries were just old enough to make me think they were bad, but they still passed the test. Thought it was the Alternator (that I just replaced a year ago), but it was fine as well. They looked at the starter, and the wires on the solenoid were corroded preventing a solid contact. New starter......not a problem since.

Thank you doug-scott. I replaced the cable and it seems to have corrected the issue. I have not had the problem in a few days of running my truck. Your advice has been received and so very much appreciated.

Archived