For those who have had the GM remote start added..

I discovered something interesting. I had the GM remote start added when I bought my '13 brand new. The kit included 2 remote start fobs. The dealer gave me the 2 original fobs and they still unlocked/locked the truck: $_57.JPG

I took them apart and noticed that they had the contact on the printed circuit board for the remote start button:

post-123983-0-75142900-1418867672.jpg

I had purchased a pair of remote start fob cases on Ebay:$_57.JPG

I took the guts from the original fobs and installed them in the remote start case, and much to my surprise, the remote start worked flawlessly on both! So if your truck has been converted, and you have the original fobs, they can be cheaply converted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400741135955?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

LOL!! Wait, wuh?

So.... If I have the remote code for factory start but not the fobs; I can buy the remote start replacement fobs from Ebay and gut my original no start/ but lock unlock fobs and swap with the new start fobs, and it will work...???

Am I understanding this correctly? Your gonna make me find someone in this situation with this info...

What does it cost and what has to be added to the truck to get it to remote start? My sister and BIL's truck has it and I was like what the heck mine don't same trucks I thought. Funny thing she didn't know her truck had it until her 3 yr. old grandson started it one morning.LOL

f

Edited by Tucker

LOL!! Wait, wuh?

So.... If I have the remote code for factory start but not the fobs; I can buy the remote start replacement fobs from Ebay and gut my original no start/ but lock unlock fobs and swap with the new start fobs, and it will work...???

Am I understanding this correctly? Your gonna make me find someone in this situation with this info...

To allievate any confusion, the dealer must install the code into the BCM to make the remote start function operate, and only if your truck was built with the AP8 code. When the dealer does this, the kit includes two brand new remote fobs, leaving you with the two additional original unlock/lock fobs that should still be programmed to the truck. For under $12, you can purchased the remote start fob empty cases with the buttons, and install the guts from the original non remote start fobs to make them work as remote start fobs. Simply converting the non remote start fobs will not make the remote start function work. This tip just allows you to have 2 more remote start fobs for cheap. Before you buy the cases, just make sure they still lock/unlock your truck.

• Like 1

What does it cost and what has to be added to the truck to get it to remote start? My sister and BIL's truck has it and I was like what the heck mine don't same trucks I thought. Funny thing she didn't know her truck had it until her 3 yr. old grandson started it one morning.LOL

Open your glove box, and on the decal there needs to be a AP8 code. If it is there, the truck is able to be programmed with the factory GM kit, only by a GM dealer or shop that has a Tech2 scanner. If you have an AP3 code, all you need are the properly programmed fobs, since the remote start was already added at the factory.

The kit is GM part number 22970855, and includes the specific code for the programming, and two new Fobs..

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-22970855-Remote-Start-Genuine-GM-Accessories-/181558138714?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a45b5575a&vxp=mtr#ht_579wt_1362

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

NO, that will only get you extra fobs, which you could program yourself if remote start is functional.  If you don't have remote start, you need the kit, 100% no question.  You're paying for an updated calibration in the BCM.