Tailgate Seal

estroner

Does anyone have pictures of their tailgate seal. I order my tonneau cover online and installed it myself. It came with a seal but no diagram of where to best put it. Thanks in advance.

The kits work the same on both. I had it on my 2011 and now on my 2014. The front seal and foam blocks help as well as the small gaskets that you apply to the tailgate itself near the latches. Really keeps the water and dust out of mine.

I do have a new Trail Seal kit that has the front weather strip, but I just caulked the front bed panel to the sides and bottom with RTV silicone on my 08 and this 14. It's smaller and less likely to come off.

Theres a bunch of drain holes on the bottom of the bed that need plugging. Simple clear packing tape will last many years for this, from my experience.

I'll put the foam blocks and tailgate seal on today. I'm going hunting in a week, so it needs to be sealed up.

I installed the Trail Seal Total bed seal kit. Not bad, not great. The top 4" of the tailgate has a gap that you could fit a spare tire thru. I put 3 pieces across this gap to fill it.

GM should do better here. A good number of owners have caps, soft toneaus, hard toneaus, or retractable hard covers. They pretty much have taken to putting their engineering heads in the sand and saying: "it aint so". Toyota introduced the roll down back cab window something like a decade ago. GM acts like it isn't an option their customers would buy. GM Customer Service, are you taking notes?

I do have a new Trail Seal kit that has the front weather strip, but I just caulked the front bed panel to the sides and bottom with RTV silicone on my 08 and this 14. It's smaller and less likely to come off.

Theres a bunch of drain holes on the bottom of the bed that need plugging. Simple clear packing tape will last many years for this, from my experience.

I'll put the foam blocks and tailgate seal on today. I'm going hunting in a week, so it needs to be sealed up.

Could you take pictures of what you did on the tailgate? I do a lot of hunting that involves a lot of gravel travel.

You will also need to seal up these areas of the bed if you want to keep the crap out...attachicon.giftotalseal1.jpg

Yes for sure. I suspect most of the dust was coming from there. My issue is, why are there companies that still sell JUST a rear tailgate seal for the 14+ when they know it won't seal the bed?

Archived