Color Matched Grill, front and rear bumpers?

Ok friends my truck is going in on Monday to get the grill color matched. My friend is pushing me away from color matching the bumper because the paint will not last along time on the chrome bumpers....

Anyone color match the OEM bumpers? POST UP!

I will post some pictures once I get the truck back!

post-135095-0-21798900-1419022819_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what a lot of people on here are saying, that the painted bumpers chip easily. Doesn't take long at all on the new K2s to show chips on painted bumpers. Maybe if you have them painted at a body shop over using OEM painted from the factory could last longer if prepped right. Since I have a black truck and only want a little chrome, I think I might actually have my bumpers black chromed like my exhaust tips. That way they're still black, but they have a chrome look and will hold up better. Haven't looked into the cost, but I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Your friend can do a great job painting them unlike the OEM did, several coats of paint and clearcoat them add a clear 3M cover and it will be good to go for a very long time!

Truck looks great, can't wait to see it done.

What is your wheel/tire/lift combo?

I blacked out a Harley Streetglide a few years back. I had the fork lowers powder coated among a lot ofother parts. After 49,000 miles they have to be redone. I have another bike that I chromed the stock aluminum fork lowers and after 56,000 they look like new. I'd have the painted or powder coated bumpers covered with EXPEL if I were going to color match my truck. Even powder coat won't hold up like chrome. Funny a few years back only the base models had painted bumpers, chrome was in the "Deluxe" packages.

You have two economical options

1. You have them scuffed as much as possible and then paint them(which the will chip sooner or later) but you can put xpel clear film on the front bumper to prevent that(which is also self-healing)

2. You can have them acid washed and it will strip off all the chrome and then paint them, which holds up a ton better but is more expensive.

I went with choice number 1 and have had no chips since February

IMG_24691_zps7e4c46f9.jpg

You have two economical options

1. You have them scuffed as much as possible and then paint them(which the will chip sooner or later) but you can put xpel clear film on the front bumper to prevent that(which is also self-healing)

2. You can have them acid washed and it will strip off all the chrome and then paint them, which holds up a ton better but is more expensive.

I went with choice number 1 and have had no chips since February

IMG_24691_zps7e4c46f9.jpg

Shit man that looks great! The look I am after.

Archived