I bought a 2014 Silverado Crewcab with the L83 5.1L engine. the truck has a towing package. The Axle is 3.08. Looking through tons of specifications i cannot find anywhere that this truck with that rear end is recommended for pulling a fifth wheel. I found data for a conventional tow for trailers, but nothing about pulling a fifth wheel. I also found my Sticker in the doorway that calls for occupants and cargo not to exceed 1722lbs. However in other chevy documents the truck spec's say GVWR 12200lbs,Payload of 2007lbs.

My question is, does anyone else pull a fif thwheel with this 3.08 gears and which data is correct.

I bought a 2014 Silverado Crewcab with the L83 5.1L engine. the truck has a towing package. The Axle is 3.08. Looking through tons of specifications i cannot find anywhere that this truck with that rear end is recommended for pulling a fifth wheel. I found data for a conventional tow for trailers, but nothing about pulling a fifth wheel. I also found my Sticker in the doorway that calls for occupants and cargo not to exceed 1722lbs. However in other chevy documents the truck spec's say GVWR 12200lbs,Payload of 2007lbs.

My question is, does anyone else pull a fif thwheel with this 3.08 gears and which data is correct.

GVWR= gross vehicle weight rating= total weight if both axles are loaded to max allowable

GCWR= gross combined weight rating=total weight of truck and trailer and load (scale weight)

I think you will find your 12000 lb number is a GCWR, and your GVWR is closer to 7000lb.

The sticker on the B pillar rules. Other documents (like the one saying 2007lbs) are estimates made without knowing which options are on YOUR truck. The sticker is VIN specific and is adjusted for installed options.

Pulling a 5th wheel is beyond me with a 1500. I find it very doubtful you'll find a trailer that won't exceed the tongue weight once loaded(Most 5th wheel weigh more than a 1500 empty). Buy a 2500 or 3500, they're not that much more expensive and a lot safer for you, your family and others on the road.

Simply put: You have the wrong truck for that job.

Buddy sent me pictures a months or so go of a family friend who was towing their 5th wheel with a 1500. They had a blow out at 60mph on the turnpike, got way out of control and end up with the truck upside down on the center concrete divider and the 5th wheel on top of the truck. Demolished the truck, both adults and the grandson walked away with minor injuries but the family dog was killed.

As said get the correct truck for the job, a 1500 is not the right truck to have for pulling a 5th wheel.

GM downgraded the rating on the 5.3L with the 3.08 axle and was forced to buy back many of the trucks as it took 2000 pounds off of the two rating. You can likely get them to buy it back and get one with a max tow package (3.73 rear) or at least get the 3.42 option.

Archived