My new Silverado was stuck in 4WD. The dealer found a Chevrolet "Field Action" for the vehicle that indicated the transfer case shift control module required reprogramming. The "Service 4WD" message appeared on the driver info screen.

Some of the vibration issues being reported could be that the truck is stuck in 4WD - that causes steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. In my case, the control knob was in 2W HI and there was NO indicator light on the knob. The service 4WD did not come on initially.

• 5 weeks later...

I drove today approx. 200 miles with Auto setting due to black ice this am. I came home tonight fine and parked in my driveway for a few hours. I tried to backup in to my turn around and noticed immediately. that it was in 4wd, yet the dial stated 2wd. I tried the dial with no effect. I also saw a service 4WD error on the display.

Have others had this issue? Does anyone have more info on the field report referenced above?

Thanks.

Yes. Cold temp is screwing up the tccm. Take it to your dealer to get reset, and wait for permanent fix from gm.

Dealer told me to put the truck in 2wd before shutting off, only codes in auto/4wd on startup. So far so good.

Mine is stuck in 4 wheel drive. Reprogramming didn't help, it lasted a couple of hours! After the reprogram it flagged the alarm again while I was driving with it in 4hi. Contacted GM last week but they have not gotten back to me! Trying to back in of dry pavement is brutal and I'm just causing more damage! Come on GM.....fix my truck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Take it in. Alot of problems with shutting the vehicle off in below freezing temp in 4wd or auto 4wd, starting back up and being stuck in 4wd with the shift knob display not working. The only thing the dealer can do is clear the codes and tell you to shut the vehicle off in 2wd until they come up with a fix. Per bulletin No. PIP5250

Yes. Cold temp is screwing up the tccm. Take it to your dealer to get reset, and wait for permanent fix from gm.

Dealer told me to put the truck in 2wd before shutting off, only codes in auto/4wd on startup. So far so good.

I was told the same thing but i never remember to do it and it hasn't done again, been about a month but its also -10c not -35c when it happened. I guess i have to move to Florida to drive a new GM

Wow! Can't handle the cold? What a joke. Mine just started acting up since having the transfer case recall done. I'll have to try the 2wd shutoff option and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GM has never been the leader in vehicle electronics technology. I recall when these 14's first came out reading about numerous starter issues and power steering issues due to freezing temps. Sad to hear now there are 4WD issues as well due to the electronics.

One can assume GM proving grounds are somewhere in Arizona only where they're road tested for a week then sent into mass production.

GM has never been the leader in vehicle electronics technology. I recall when these 14's first came out reading about numerous starter issues and power steering issues due to freezing temps. Sad to hear now there are 4WD issues as well due to the electronics.

One can assume GM proving grounds are somewhere in Arizona only where they're road tested for a week then sent into mass production.

They do have one in the Yuma, AZ area, but also one in Milford, MI

You can assume that if it makes you feel better some how, but you'd be wrong.

Take it in. Alot of problems with shutting the vehicle off in below freezing temp in 4wd or auto 4wd, starting back up and being stuck in 4wd with the shift knob display not working. The only thing the dealer can do is clear the codes and tell you to shut the vehicle off in 2wd until they come up with a fix. Per bulletin No. PIP5250

Same thing they told me.