Gas Pedal Flex Solution

FL335i

After noticing the gas pedal has a lot of travel before it actually starts to work, I looked at it closely. I noticed it's a very bad design. There is a plastic bracket that is bolted to the floor pan/firewall and it has two studs. The metal gas pedal assembly bolts to this plastic bracket. The Bottom right area has no anchoring, and has a gap between it and the floor pan. so when you step on the gas pedal, this whole bracket flexes like crazy. I did come up with a solution. I cut a 1/2" long piece off the end of a free paint stick from home depot. Wedged it between the floor pan and the plastic bracket on the bottom right area. super glued it in place. guess what... NO MORE FLEX. Unreal how I have to do this to a $46k new 2014 truck. Never owned a vehicle with such a poor gas pedal design. Pic below.

My 2017 has a different looking setup there (power adjust pedals also) but still has a considerable amount of play. Did you loosen up that bolt, wedge it in and then tighten ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 has a different looking setup there (power adjust pedals also) but still has a considerable amount of play. Did you loosen up that bolt, wedge it in and then tighten ?

My 17 also has the power adjust pedals and I just wedged a 1/8" thick piece of rubber folded in half under the right corner. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My 17 also has the power adjust pedals and I just wedged a 1/8" thick piece of rubber folded in half under the right corner. Made a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to remove the pedal if it's easy and design a 3D printed spacer that will fit in there perfectly. 45ec96de2fcd66089e88d3c46b1ca888.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'm going to remove the pedal if it's easy and design a 3D printed spacer that will fit in there perfectly. 45ec96de2fcd66089e88d3c46b1ca888.jpg

Great idea! This I gotta see!

post-154007-0-61850100-1488209692.gif

I just did this on mine, non adjustable and it is awesome! I can't believe how much better the pedal response is. Why did I wait 2 years when this changes the feel completely. Just a 1" by 1 1\2" piece of 3\8" rubber.

• Like 1

OMG. A freakin paint stick fit perfect!! There is your mold.

But there's always more. Someone will want more bling; fancy materials, logo by big-shot company, etc.

We've got 3-D printing on the way!

Just how many pieces can you get out of one paint stick? Thanks for thinking of a solution with what you had at hand. I agree fully; the paint stick mod works perfectly.

• Like 1

Just checked my '14 LTZ. Now I'm looking for a paint stick! I had over 1/4" movement.

Gotta love the expert's explanation.....It's designed that way for vibration.

Some rubber washers would do that an not have so much unnecessary flex.

I just bought a 17 Silverado. I thought the sloppy pedal was just me adjusting from going from a Trailblazer with an inline 6 to Silverado with an 8. I'm definitely going to look at this.

561260d589a97175c5de0d400c76ec3c.jpg

Ok guys, update here regarding my 3D printer shim.

My plan was to remove the lower bolt (which I had assumed was attached on the back side to the firewall). Print a custom fitted shim that would go around that bolt and then when the nut was snugged down would hold the entire thing in place.

I was mistaken: as you can see mine looks differently than the OP (2017 GMC Sierra denali with power adjust pedals might be the reason for the different look). I don't think it matters which option you have, the OP hit the nail on the head with the simple "paint stick" mod. That lower bolt is not attached to the firewall, but instead it is embedded in the black plastic honeycomb bracket. That bracket is unsupported at the back (as was the OP metal bracket). With any type of pressure on the pedal there is considerable "flex".

Considering that a custom 3D printed shim would do absolutely nothing more than the paint stick mod (other than waste my time and cost a few cents lol) I have decided to skip the 3D adventure and just use a paint stick

Thank you for the super simple & easy to do mod ! You rock !!

With that in mind if you guys think of anything along the way that would really benefit from a custom 3D printed part, hit me up !! It's a hobby / small business of mine and I love helping out where I can !! Don't forget, there is essentially nothing we "cannot print"!

Cheers BDC

• Like 2

561260d589a97175c5de0d400c76ec3c.jpg

Ok guys, update here regarding my 3D printer shim.

My plan was to remove the lower bolt (which I had assumed was attached on the back side to the firewall). Print a custom fitted shim that would go around that bolt and then when the nut was snugged down would hold the entire thing in place.

I was mistaken: as you can see mine looks differently than the OP (2017 GMC Sierra denali with power adjust pedals might be the reason for the different look). I don't think it matters which option you have, the OP hit the nail on the head with the simple "paint stick" mod. That lower bolt is not attached to the firewall, but instead it is embedded in the black plastic honeycomb bracket. That bracket is unsupported at the back (as was the OP metal bracket). With any type of pressure on the pedal there is considerable "flex".

Considering that a custom 3D printed shim would do absolutely nothing more than the paint stick mod (other than waste my time and cost a few cents lol) I have decided to skip the 3D adventure and just use a paint stick

Thank you for the super simple & easy to do mod ! You rock !!

With that in mind if you guys think of anything along the way that would really benefit from a custom 3D printed part, hit me up !! It's a hobby / small business of mine and I love helping out where I can !! Don't forget, there is essentially nothing we "cannot print"!

Cheers BDC

I'll have to check mine when I get home, I'd be interested!

• Like 1