Gas Pedal Flex Solution

FL335i

I have been having throttle response and other issues since I got my truck in late October. I stumbled across this post, and checked mine. I cannot believe GM approved this design and let this off the assembly line, the flex is insane. The actual pedal moves about a 1/2" before it even registers the gas is being pressed. I'm not nit picking as someone said earlier in this post. I wish I knew how to get a video uploaded. This is unacceptable in my book.

Has anyone had the dealer look at theirs? I'm sure its just another "that's normal" issue.

Well if it was designed that way, then it is normal. Mine is this way also, I just push the pedal a little more. It is obviously designed this way, I don't know why, seems to be on spacers. It may be this way to reduce sensitivity. I've seen pedals so touchy that any little bump has the vehicle lunging and pulling up uncontrollable. I'd rather have mine this way than feel like it's a bucking bronco. It seems like there is a solution earlier in the thread if you feel the need to improve it, I'm leaving mine as is.

• Like 1

I have been having throttle response and other issues since I got my truck in late October. I stumbled across this post, and checked mine. I cannot believe GM approved this design and let this off the assembly line, the flex is insane. The actual pedal moves about a 1/2" before it even registers the gas is being pressed. I'm not nit picking as someone said earlier in this post. I wish I knew how to get a video uploaded. This is unacceptable in my book.

Has anyone had the dealer look at theirs? I'm sure its just another "that's normal" issue.

Well if it was designed that way, then it is normal. Mine is this way also, I just push the pedal a little more. It is obviously designed this way, I don't know why, seems to be on spacers. It may be this way to reduce sensitivity. I've seen pedals so touchy that any little bump has the vehicle lunging and pulling up uncontrollable. I'd rather have mine this way than feel like it's a bucking bronco. It seems like there is a solution earlier in the thread if you feel the need to improve it, I'm leaving mine as is.

Yes I will definitely making a solution for this, Just curious what the dealers have said before I put some spacers in. Its already lazy being wire controlled. No need for them reduce throttle sensitivity on these trucks any worse than they are. The flex of this cheesy ass design is just making it worse. Why its not mounted to the floorboard or a solid surface is beyond me.

Common GM. It wasn't that long ago that Toyota lost millions of dollars over a gas pedal, that in the end was perfectly fine. Turned out to be a bunch of idiots that can't drive cars. Figured after the camry gas pedal fiasco engineers would scrutinize the gas pedals moving forward. This is a legit POS gas pedal design anyone with a iphone can video and post on the net.

Edited by FL335i

I agree that a good video would be worth a million words of what the problem is and where it's located.

I filed the NHTSA complaint shown below:

VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado

Filed: 12/26/2014

WHILE MOVING FROM A STOP THE TRUCK SOMETIMES LAGS IN ACCELERATION WHICH MAY CAUSE THE OPERATOR TO DEPRESS THE ACCELERATOR FURTHER THAN REQUIRED TO ENTER TRAFFIC. THIS CONDITION ALSO MAY CAUSE A SHORT ACCELERATION DELAY WHEN PULLING INTO TRAFFIC THAT CAN BE UNEXPECTED BY THE OPERATOR. I HAVE BEEN SURPRISED MANY TIMES BY THIS OPERATOR DISCONNECT ACCELERATING FROM A STATIONARY POSITION. AFTER DRIVING MY NEW TRUCK 900 MILES I INVESTIGATED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ASSEMBLY BRACKET TO FIND THAT THE ENTIRE BRACKET IS NOT PROPERLY FASTENED STRUCTURALLY TO THE FIRE WALL BY DESIGN. I INSPECTED MY TRUCK ON 12/23/14 AND FOUND THIS PROBLEM, THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BRACKET FLEX ON MY TRUCK LOOKS TO BE ~3/4" TO 1" BEFORE THE ELECTRONIC LINKAGE ENGAGES. THE PEDAL TIP-IN ENGAGEMENT HAS TO FLEX THE MOUNTING BRACKET BEFORE THE ELECTRONIC ACCELERATION SWITCH ENGAGES. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE GM ENGINEERING AND DESIGN TEAM'S WOULD APPROVE OF SUCH A FLIMSY MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THIS IMPORTANT PART OF BASIC MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATION. I FEEL OVER TIME AND USAGE THAT THIS BRACKET MAY COMPLETELY FAIL AS CURRENTLY DESIGNED. I COULD SHIM AND INSTALL ADDITIONAL HARDWARE TO CORRECT THIS SAFETY ISSUE, BUT I FEEL THIS DESIGN ISSUE SHOULD BE ADDRESSED WITH GM BEFORE SOMEONE HAS A CRASH OR WORST.

• Like 4

This is the video I shot this afternoon. Hopefully you can see the flex of the bracket. Sorry for the poor quality of the video. First one I have done.

• Like 2

This is the video I shot this afternoon. Hopefully you can see the flex of the bracket. Sorry for the poor quality of the video. First one I have done.

Holy shat! Lol. I just went and checked mine out...zero flex..zero! Strange the difference. Wonder if later built trucks had a "fix"? Mine is 08/14

• Like 1

I own a 2014 Silverado LT 4x4 double cab V-6 with a build date of June 2014, I do not have adjustable pedals, my pedal bracket flex is insane.

I noticed the lag in accelerator pedal tip in response from my first test drive of my new Silverado from day one with 18 miles and still have issues at 900 miles.

This design problem isn't going to correct it self and will only get worst from usage.

I don't know from reading all of the threads and posts which 2014/2015 build dates and models are impacted, but I think once owners can see the bracket flex in their trucks they will only then understand the issue.

This issue seems to be for the fixed pedals only and not for the optional adjustable pedals.

Happy 2015 !!!

My '15 doesn't have adjustable pedals and the bracket doesn't flex like depicted in the video when pedal is pushed downward; its build date is 9/14.

Edited by POS VETT