2014 6.2L High Country 4WD Issue

Searched the forum and didn't see anything that discussed this. When I switch into 4WD High and turn the wheel I get a ton of grinding feedback in the wheel and in the drivetrain. It feels almost like hopping if that makes any sense. It does this even at idle speed with any wheel turn greater than about 10 degrees.

Obviously something is wrong, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience and could comment on what the outcome was.

I am having the same problem as you, making the sound like it's low on fluid in transfer case maybe don't know. This is my first pickup 4X4 my brother has had many and he say it's not right and take it in for service. I have a appointment on 12-29-14 to have it looked at boy over 2 weeks to get it looked at and I live in ND where winter is going to be on us this week and I hope they can fix it right away. I was wondering if we are able to check transfer case fluid.

Searched the forum and didn't see anything that discussed this. When I switch into 4WD High and turn the wheel I get a ton of grinding feedback in the wheel and in the drivetrain. It feels almost like hopping if that makes any sense. It does this even at idle speed with any wheel turn greater than about 10 degrees.

Obviously something is wrong, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience and could comment on what the outcome was.

Is this on a hard surface like asphalt or concrete or on a loose/slippery surface?

Is this on a hard surface like asphalt or concrete or on a loose/slippery surface?

It was in a mixture of gravel road and dirt/mud. I think it may have been getting more traction than I realized and acting like it was on concrete. Still going to have it looked at to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel what your feeling In every 4wd truck I've driven when turning with traction on the front wheels. They are now getting power and are trying to grip the road rather then spin freely, causing resistance. You won't feel it in super loose sand, snow etc cause the wheel spin. Tripped me out too the first time I went to bust a u-turn and not knowing I flipped it in 4wd. Don't worry it's probably normal. But if it makes you feel better have the dealer make sure it's all good, that's what warranty is for.

I feel what your feeling In every 4wd truck I've driven when turning with traction on the front wheels. They are now getting power and are trying to grip the road rather then spin freely, causing resistance. You won't feel it in super loose sand, snow etc cause the wheel spin. Tripped me out too the first time I went to bust a u-turn and not knowing I flipped it in 4wd. Don't worry it's probably normal. But if it makes you feel better have the dealer make sure it's all good, that's what warranty is for.

Why do I have a feeling that this statement will not put the OP at ease?

That's exactly how 4WD works. Remember, this isn't an AWD vehicle. 4WD is different because there is a hard lock between the front and rear driveshafts from the transfer case, IE, they are turning at the exactly same speed. As a result, when you turn the wheel sharply, you end up with the different tires wanting to turn at different speeds based on their location/radius in the turn. Because you can't force the driveshafts to turn at different speeds, you end up with the system binding up and the tires hopping to match the driveshaft speed.

This is why your manual warns you to only use 4Hi when you have questionable traction available (IE, it's slippery enough to allow the different tires to slip as needed). Otherwise, you put excessive strain on your drivetrain and tires.

This is a byproduct of ALL 4 wheel drive systems that can lock the front and rear drive shafts. It's simply the result of physics. AWD systems get around this by putting a loose coupling in the transfer case, IE, a center differential, a wet clutch pack, etc. This allows the front and rear drive shafts to slip relative to each other and turn at different speeds as needed. The downside is that they don't give you the hard 50/50 lock when you absolutely need it.

That's exactly how 4WD works. Remember, this isn't an AWD vehicle. 4WD is different because there is a hard lock between the front and rear driveshafts from the transfer case, IE, they are turning at the exactly same speed. As a result, when you turn the wheel sharply, you end up with the different tires wanting to turn at different speeds based on their location/radius in the turn. Because you can't force the driveshafts to turn at different speeds, you end up with the system binding up and the tires hopping to match the driveshaft speed.

This is why your manual warns you to only use 4Hi when you have questionable traction available (IE, it's slippery enough to allow the different tires to slip as needed). Otherwise, you put excessive strain on your drivetrain and tires.

This is a byproduct of ALL 4 wheel drive systems that can lock the front and rear drive shafts. It's simply the result of physics. AWD systems get around this by putting a loose coupling in the transfer case, IE, a center differential, a wet clutch pack, etc. This allows the front and rear drive shafts to slip relative to each other and turn at different speeds as needed. The downside is that they don't give you the hard 50/50 lock when you absolutely need it.

Thanks Dan. I've had quite a few 4WD vehicles, so I'm familiar with how they work. It just surprised me to have it act like it was on concrete when I was in pretty slick stuff most of the time it was happening. It didn't feel like chirping tires when you round a corner in something that's locked up (my buddy used to do that to his old hi lux in college). It felt more like gears almost slipping or not remaining in gear the whole time. Hard to explain versus experiencing it in person. I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it just had more traction than I realized. I've been fortunate enough so far to avoid any of the major issues others have reported, so I'd like to keep that streak alive. Now that I've said it out loud, I'm sure a wheel will fall off on the way home.

I have felt the other things others are saying about how the wheels need to move when in 4x4 mode is normal. But this is something different this doesn't make the wheels feel like they are jumping when in 4x4 mode it a noise and a high pitch vibration that I am filling. I have drove many 4x4 over my years for work when I work out in the oilfields up here. I hope my service department finds what it is.

Hello nickbtx,

I recognize that you are soliciting information from fellow forum members with regard to your concern. If you'd like any additional assistance contacting your dealership, we're glad to help. If our assistance is not needed, I hope you'll keep us posted once you are able to take your Silverado into the dealership!

Andraya

GM Customer Care

I have this same noise in snow, ice, dry payment and it all started after they reprogram transfer case for going into neutral recall. I try all the system out when I purchased it and they all worked fine then around thanksgiving I noticed this noise coming from the front wheels. I purchased the truck 6-1-14 and so I had around 5500 miles on it when it happen and it was snow/ice on ground. I will get the info from the dealership when they look at it 12-29-14. I glad someone else seems to have the problem I am having. It is really hard to explain the problem unless you heard and feel this I know what normal 4x4 modes feel like and this isn't one of them.

Hello 2014MorePower,

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern as well. I'm glad to hear that you've schedule an appointment with your dealership. Please keep us posted on your visit! If our assistance is needed, feel free to send a private message to us here on the site!

Andraya

GM Customer Care

Ya basically normal for 4wd high with the surface your saying you're on auto 4wd would be the best for that surface since the front wheels will be partially engage but with the turning ability like you're in 2wd.

Archived