Engine Light, IAT sensor: codes P0113 and P0228

Weird thing happening, my check engine light came on and my scanner pulls P0113 and P0228. P0113 is IAT sensor and P0228 is Fuel and Air Metering.

I had to remove the airbox last night to replace a headlight, which requires me to unplug the IAT sensor right on the airbox. And then when I took the truck for a drive, I noticed the engine fans are running at full blast and then the engine light came on (solid light). Immediately turned off the truck, hooked up the sensor and checked the codes. Saw they weren't "hazardous" and drove to work.

Why would unplugging the IAT sensor cause a code to be thrown? I checked and made sure to reconnect it securely. Its on there fine.

And why are the engine fans going full blast?

Thanks guys.

The IAT sensor is built into the MAF sensor. When you left the MAF unhooked the truck had to run in speed density fueling mode until the MAF sensor was hooked back up and key cycled. I am guessing the fan running are part of the limp home mode that is in the ECM.

I would clear the codes either thru your code reader or by pulling the battery cables then go from there.

The IAT sensor is built into the MAF sensor. When you left the MAF unhooked the truck had to run in speed density fueling mode until the MAF sensor was hooked back up and key cycled. I am guessing the fan running are part of the limp home mode that is in the ECM.

I would clear the codes either thru your code reader or by pulling the battery cables then go from there.

I never actually ran the truck with the sensor unhooked. I just had it unplugged for 10 minutes while I swapped out the headlight.

I thought about just clearing the codes. But I want to make sure the sensor is ok. So I called the dealer and am gonna bring it over there today....but that seems like a hassle. I may just clear the code and see what happens....

Thanks

• 2 months later...

sorry to bring this back up but i had this happen last night after installing HIDs. unplugged the MAF then plugged it back in. Well i tried removing the codes with my reader and it wouldn't delete them and then it said permanent under each code. it threw the 2 codes you had along with a P2223. I brought it to the dealer but i wanted to try to get some insight on what happened. I unhooked the battery for 30 minutes and hooked back up and the fans stopped spinning period. temp got up to about 220 and still no fans.

you should not get any codes from unplugging the MAF unless you are doing so with the key on at some point in the process. I unplugged my MAF when I installed my CAI and never got any sort of code what so ever.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring the topic up again but it seems like i have the same issue goin on i unplugged the IAT sensor because i was changing a bulb did the numerous times without the check engine light coming on an when i finished an plugged it back in i got the check engine light, checked everything it was good still light was onv plugged the OBD Scanner got the same codes you got and im still stuck, should i unhook the battery cables? Tried clearing it with my scanner but its not working it said permanent along with 3 other codes when i came back today.

Archived