Speed governor?

Magoomba

I recently had the chance to take my 2015 Sierra Denali 5.3 to private facility where I could open it up a bit. Found out the engine speed is capped at 98 mph. It was revving nicely (and quite smoothly) through the gears and when it hit 98 mph, the RPMs dropped like a rock and it quietly continued to cruise at that speed, even though the accelerator was still on the floor. Needless to say, I was kind of disappointed. Mind you, I would not drive like this on public roadways, but nonetheless, I've never owned a vehicle that was governed like this.

Anyone else know about this "feature" included in this truck?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine's at 98 also, while others I've read posts that are different. It's not a big deal anyways unless it's governed to low that you can't pass on the interstate. Other than that it needs a governor mostly to protect you from yourself.

I got stopped by a cop a few years back.

He was in a GM truck, I was in a BMW 325is

He didn't have radar, but the ticket said 160km plus as his truck hit the governed speed and he couldn't catch me.

He got me at a red light - I didn't even know he was following me!

Sam :-)

My GMT-800 had a speed limiter at a slightly higher speed, about 110 mph if I remembered correctly. My K2XX is limited just a hair under 100 mph when looking at the analog speedometer.

My GMT-800 had a speed limiter at a slightly higher speed, about 110 mph if I remembered correctly. My K2XX is limited just a hair under 100 mph when looking at the analog speedometer.

The gmt800 was also set to 98 mph factory just like the 900 and k2 series trucks

Ryan

So pre 1993 does not have any speed limiter, ?

No but they probably won't get above 100 anyhow. :lol:

But seriously you have to be a moron to run these trucks above 100 without proper tires or driveshaft balancing.

No but they probably won't get above 100 anyhow. :lol:

But seriously you have to be a moron to run these trucks above 100 without proper tires or driveshaft balancing.

I was just curious because i was going 70 one night and my pal with an 88 5.7 pulled so far away i couldnt see his lights lol and i thought he had a limiter. Thats how he blew the stock 5.7 too doing a truck pull at WOT with no rev limiter. BOOM

I was just curious because i was going 70 one night and my pal with an 88 5.7 pulled so far away i couldnt see his lights lol and i thought he had a limiter. Thats how he blew the stock 5.7 too doing a truck pull at WOT with no rev limiter. BOOM

rev limiter and speed governor are two different things.

So pre 1993 does not have any speed limiter, ?

Let me restate pre 1993 had no rev limiter or speed limiter. I had a 93 & a 94 both I installed jet stage 2 e prom chips in. It would limit the top speed to approximately 128mph. A friend had a 92 & he would pass me by at a pretty good clip. If I had to guess his would hit 130 or 135 it just took it forever to get there.

Archived