Happy With Bose Sound System?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GM and I would not get along. After working on the team that developed digital sound recording and digital editing (got an Oscar -- "techy" -- for that), I moved on to a field of acoustics that has nothing to do with automobiles and I intend to keep it that way. When Dr. Bose was around, Bose had a very enviable research group; but, it appears they have a big miss here and just how much GM's demands affected the outcome will remain a mystery. Today Harmon's research and development is among the best, if not the best. One of that group was president of the Audio Engineering Society. Carry on.

Cheers.

I've owned several GMC Yukon Denali's including a new 2015 The Bose stereo is by far the worst part of the Car. Far too much marketing with no substance.

As to the "pissing contest" that is going on over the number of speakers, My profession is a High performance Audio system designer. It's pretty common knowledge that to obtain the purest sound in a listening space using loudspeakers, you want to use the fewest number of speakers as possible. The perfect Loudspeaker would have all it's sound emanating from a single point in space, this eliminates multiple arrival times and the cancellation (comb filtering) that results from those multiple arrivals. More isn't always better. Don't you hate it when science gets in the way of what you know?

I've owned several GMC Yukon Denali's including a new 2015 The Bose stereo is by far the worst part of the Car. Far too much marketing with no substance.

As to the "pissing contest" that is going on over the number of speakers, My profession is a High performance Audio system designer. It's pretty common knowledge that to obtain the purest sound in a listening space using loudspeakers, you want to use the fewest number of speakers as possible. The perfect Loudspeaker would have all it's sound emanating from a single point in space, this eliminates multiple arrival times and the cancellation (comb filtering) that results from those multiple arrivals. More isn't always better. Don't you hate it when science gets in the way of what you know?

Of course, but you speak in theory and not in reality. I hate when pesky reality gets in the way of what you think you know.

I do agree that more is not always better, in most instances, but that is not the way it works. If I can stand in front of the optimal speaker (Drivers Debatable) and not move, then that would be great. Put seats, couches, or anything else in the way or move location and the sound dynamic will change. Hence the addition of "multiple" speakers/drivers in various "engineered" locations.

Thanks for the input.

The whole point I have made all along is the number of speakers is not an indicator of sound quality. That's all there is to end. End of discussion. Please do, however, carry on with your own opinion.

I was just fooling around with the audio system in a Denali at my local dealer. I was very unimpressed. Heck my 04 sierra with bose sounds better! And I have had the door panels off my truck and the speakers in my truck have paper cones. The bose system is kind of a joke.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I thinks it's safe to say that I'm not the only one disappointed in the Bose sound system.

It is interesting that I have had three other vehicles with Bose systems and they sound pretty good. The first was my 86 Corvette. In those days, most factory systems were pretty lame, so the Bose sound decent. Of course, didn't take much to be better then the other factory systems. However, the aftermarket systems were infinitely better then the Bose. And, that system had the stupid design that had a powered amp at each speaker (nothing wrong with that) but the signal from the head unit was not the industry standard pre-amp line level output. So, you couldn't mix and match the Boae with any aftermarket upgrades. The speakers were small one-way paper cone drivers, in an elaborate plastic ported enclosure, angled towards the occupants. When you saw the cheap little drivers, it was kind of impressive the sound was as good as it was. Anyway, I bit the bullet and yanked it all out, installed an Alpine head unit, separate power amp, component from speaker with the tweeter in the dash, rear 2-ways, and it sounded infinitely better than the Bose.

My 2005 Sierra had the Bose system and I was quiet satisfied with it. Sounded decent for a factory system, but certainly not as good as some of the upgraded systems in other brands. But I was happy.

My wife's 2007 Acura MDX had a Bose system in it (might have been the speakers only). It sounded OK. No highs, no lows (so must be Bose....LOL) but I cranked up the treble and bass and it sounded good enough. At least it had some punch.

But the system in the Yukon is anemic. No loudness. Maybe all the speakers are working. I don't know. But, it's the worst of the lot I've had! But, could be worse. I could have the buffeting sound like those guys on the other thread....oh, wait. That's right, I DO!!! LOL!

Have a good one, guys!

• 5 weeks later...

The Bose system, as installed, is a horrid excuse for a sound system and completely wrong for a vehicle at this price point. Equally problematic is no you cannot upgrade to something else...at least at this time. It is tightly integrated into the "Infotainment" system. At some point in the future, maybe someone will come up with a clever solution. It is clear the decision to go with Bose was not made by anyone fully qualified to make that decision.

What you can do to make a big difference is have something like the JBL MS8 installed between the radio head unit and the amplifier. Beyond that would be a replacement for the speakers.

GM and I would not get along. After working on the team that developed digital sound recording and digital editing (got an Oscar -- "techy" -- for that), I moved on to a field of acoustics that has nothing to do with automobiles and I intend to keep it that way. When Dr. Bose was around, Bose had a very enviable research group; but, it appears they have a big miss here and just how much GM's demands affected the outcome will remain a mystery. Today Harmon's research and development is among the best, if not the best. One of that group was president of the Audio Engineering Society. Carry on.

Cheers.

Bam!

Thank you for the info. Will the JBL MS8 enhance the sound quality? I will have it installed immediately. If it will enhance the quality more, I will change the speakers also. Which of the 10 would you recommend? Again thank you for the info. I am really dissatisfied with the sound system, but love the vehicle.

The JBL MS8 will improve the sound quality and provide Logic7 processing as well; however, the key to any good DSP system is to have someone available that knows how to set it up properly (and usually with the equipment to do so.

I have tried to purchase the JBL MS-8 from Crutchfield and was told that they have discontinued selling that product since 2012. The JBL MS-8 was introduced in 2010. They didn't have a product to direct me to for the replacement of the JBL MS-8. They related that I would have to replace all of the speakers and the amplifier to upgrade this system. It would be necessary to find the system wiring diagram for crossovers in line with speaker and amplifier specs., if I wanted to keep the Bose system intact. I would prefer not to lose any factory interaction from the system. How can I possible upgrade this system? Bose will not give any specs. on this system. They related that there were no complaints on any of their systems in the 2015 cars. LOL

Archived