2007 GMC 1500 Fuel Smell

TJMaine

Question

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 CC with 190k miles on her

I did search around the forums and didnt find anything really pertaining to this specific issue.
My first guess/instinct was fuel line ( but there is never any spots under the truck after being parked and sitting )

Over the last few days I have noticed a gas smell coming from the truck ( not super strong, but enough to alert me )

Seems to be more prevalent at the rear of the truck on the opposite side of the fuel tank. ( near bumper, figured the fumes were accumulating under the bumper or something )
No gas smell under the hood at all

I rolled around under the truck today wiped my hand on anything that could have fuel on it ( and some that couldnt have ) with no fuel smell on my hand.

I live in a colder climate and has been warm lately ( figured some vent or something from fuel tank or something )

I dont notice it any more or less when the tank is full or empty

No difference if it's been sitting or recently driven.

I checked the exhaust for a strong gas smell ( nothing )

Any ideas? Foggy? Educated or even SWAG ( Scientific Wild A$$ guess ) are appreciated.

By chance do you have a fuel filter which should be mounted inline along the inside of the frame (usually under the door on drivers side) that has gotten rusty and has perhaps sprung a small leak? Here in MN we also deal with lots of salt and had this exact problem, leaked very slowly and other than the gas odor was very hard to detect at first.

Run your hands along the inside bottom of the frame looking for fuel, won't be hard to find.

839$... they marked the parts up 40% ( Seemed high but thats the norm around the area ) and I knew the guy who was doing the work and trust him.

By chance do you have a fuel filter which should be mounted inline along the inside of the frame (usually under the door on drivers side) that has gotten rusty and has perhaps sprung a small leak? Here in MN we also deal with lots of salt and had this exact problem, leaked very slowly and other than the gas odor was very hard to detect at first.

Run your hands along the inside bottom of the frame looking for fuel, won't be hard to find.

I'll take a look tonight and see whats what, my guess with as many miles as my truck has it's something like this, the fuel pump ( sending unit ) or a fuel line

Which reminds me, why is it so hard to find fuel lines for this truck? I dont see a part number anywhere for it, ebay all they have is generic metal tubing kits... nothing pre bent with fittings on it.

Number 6 in the picture. Pump. The top rots away.

I'll be looking at this tonight as well. Thanks for the info guys!!!

My truck is a few years older than yours and has seen its fair share of salt as well. The fuel lines on mine are still in decent shape but the leak actually started at the fitting end of the filter due to the fitting itself getting pretty rusty, the filter was about 2 years old and was due for replacement anyways. I replaced the filter and all is fine now, but the fittings on each end can be a bit troublesome and will leak again if the threads aren't good and clean.

As far as finding fuel lines or why they're hard to come by I have no idea, I suppose GM figures they will last forever, just like the brake lines! Ya, sure, you bethca! :crackup:

My truck is a few years older than yours and has seen its fair share of salt as well. The fuel lines on mine are still in decent shape but the leak actually started at the fitting end of the filter due to the fitting itself getting pretty rusty, the filter was about 2 years old and due for replacement anyways. I replaced the filter and all is fine now, but the fittings on each end can be a bit troublesome and will leak again if the threads aren't good and clean.

As far as finding fuel lines or why they're hard to come by I have no idea, I suppose GM figures they will last forever, just like the brake lines! Ya, sure, you bethca! :crackup:

If it turns out it's a fuel line i'll have to call NAPA or GM dealer for some prices... Thanks for the info. Never disappointed when I come here for answers.

Im a network admin not a car mechanic LOL But before my father in law passed away he showed me all kinds of neat stuff.. We just never got into Fuel or engine internals.

I have a 2007 GMC SIERRA 1500 and every so often I smell gas in the cab of the truck. This truck only has 38K on it, and no indication of engine problems. So where would the gas be leaking from? Fuel filter, sender unit, evap canister? What usually goes wrong on these trucks?

If it turns out to be a bad section of the original fuel line and you're worried about using rubber fuel line, you could replace the bad section with the correct size steel tubing again and just use short pieces of good reinforced rubber fuel line on each end with clamps to splice in the new piece. As long as the line is secure on the frame and isn't out in the open flopping around it ought to work just fine.

Do you have a small pipe cutter like the plumbers use? If not they're available at most any hardware or home improvement store.

Archived