2015 8 speed transmission replaced with 3,000 miles on it

Gunner99

My truck started to develope a clunking noise when I started to acelarate from a stop. Also a shudder at 4000 rpms which eventually stopped. A clicking noise when I turned complately left or right at a very low speed and finally a vibration at speeds over 60 mph. At first the dealer recognized the noise but couln't pinpoint where it was coming from so they gave it back to me and said wait until it gets worse. I was to the point where I didn't even want the truck anymore. I've put 2000 miles on it since november 12 and haven't even been able to enjhoy it. Just driving to work and to the dealer. Afetr I was tired of driving the 30 miles one way to the GMC dealer, I took it to the dealer's sister Chevy dealer which is a lot bigger with more technicians. They have it now. I had to contact GM customer cares and open a case so here is the update. Also it seems that GM is wanting the dealer to make everythiung right while the dealer wants GM to do it. I'm caught in the crosshair wand making my payments.

Update.

They have my truck at their larger chevy dealer with their master tech looking at it. He test drove it with me yesterday and heard the noise. So he is aware of it. A side note is that on the 8 speed tranny, if there is a problem on the inside they can't open it but have to send it to where GM tells them. Kinda weird they aren't allowed to work on them.

The dealer offered that I cough up $3,000, get same payment same terms. The new truck would have a 5.3 6 speed instead of my current 6.2 8 speed. But it would have a sunroof and 4wd.( this one is at another dealer available to them now.) that's why the 3,000 difference for the downgraded engine and tranny and upgraded 4wd and sunroof. I only feel right paying a $1300 difference (the actual price difference in GMS) for upgrades because its not my problem that there is obvious problems with this new transmission so I'm not paying dealer fee,doc fee and tax, They can.

Second option is to keep my truck and they give me an extended warranty on it and make my payment while it gets fixed.
I'm not familiar with their extended warranty options though. Of course it comes with the standard 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper and 5yr/100,000 drivetrain. What do they offer longer than this?

Third option would be to order a truck exactly how I have mine but with the 5.3 6 speed and they let me drive something until it gets here.

I really desire the power of the 6.2 but don't have the patience for them to figure the tranny out. The tune needs to be updated on GM's part, if done aftermarket they can and will void a warranty.

All depends what the tech finds and how long to fix for my decision on which way to proceed.
But GM and dealer are working together now because the dealer can't provided anymore assistance than what they've offered.
I had to decline the 3,000 offer for the other truck and get GM back on board to work with dealer to come up with something. Its going to district now.

Opinion please?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all what State are you in. In Texas we have the lemon law. And I believe if you take a car/truck in for the same issue within a certain time frame you can file one. Considering your truck is 2 months old and 2000 miles and it is in the shop for the 2nd time. I would look into your case state law on it. 3k out of your pocket, to downgrade is insane. I would really look into and see what it states and then inform GM and dealer your intentions, that's what I would do.

First of all what State are you in. In Texas we have the lemon law. And I believe if you take a car/truck in for the same issue within a certain time frame you can file one. Considering your truck is 2 months old and 2000 miles and it is in the shop for the 2nd time. I would look into your case state law on it. 3k out of your pocket, to downgrade is insane. I would really look into and see what it states and then inform GM and dealer your intentions, that's what I would do.

Florida. They have the lemon law but its three times for the same pronlem. We are on number two officially by the service orders. Unofficially about 6.

Yeah the $3,000 is their offer to downgrade from my 6.2 to a 5.3 but then upgrade to the 4wd and sunroof which I currently don't have.

If I opted to wait for them to order a truck like mine but with a 5.3 then I'm due some money back. About $2500 for the engine downsize.

Then I would consider that, then they have t buy it back. I would let them know or at least threaten that. No way I would give them cash on a downgrade. Good luck on that, hope it works in ur favor!

Then I would consider that, then they have t buy it back. I would let them know or at least threaten that. No way I would give them cash on a downgrade. Good luck on that, hope it works in ur favor!

yeah. Its actually a $1300 upgrade to the 4wd and sunroof minus my engine downgrade of 2500. They need to come to the table with the other 1700 of the 3000. Because I'm not willing to pay the misc fees again.

If their extended warranty actually extended the bumper to bumper and drivetrain beyond the standard 3/36,000 and 5/100,000. I'd take that with them making the payment on the truck until it gets fixed. But I'm not sure yet what their extended actually is. From, what I'm reading online its just reimbursemnt for hotels and rentals etc. in case of a breakdown. I'm looking for something for the actual truck. I need to wait and see what the tech finds first then go from there.

If GM didnt have a recent history of so many recalls and breakdowns, I'd tune it aftermarket for sure but this new global system they incorporated seems to see all that. these engineers need toi drive these new combinations more before they release them to the public. This is the first year they offered the 8 speed in the trucks. Although its been in other cars before they weight distribution and torque levels are different for a towing truck compared to a car.

It seems like they are doing what they can to make it right and I would give them time to do it. Your mention that this is officially the 2nd time but unofficial 6th time, what is the time frame on that? I agree with you though, no way you should pay more money to downgrade. Doesn't gm give trade assist for that or something called that when they take a truck back?

I have a 2015 SD on order, but I don't know what I would do if I was in your shoes with my brand new 50k+ truck. Pissed for sure

The GM care, dealer and district are reviewing to see what they can do. If we had a conference call that would avoid all the blaming of responsibilty they throw on each other. My family has worked their entire lives at the plant and they said this is a shame how we have to practically beg them to offer help.

I'm not sure how they offer cash assitance for these situations. That really shouldnt be my concern, just that they offer help. The only reason I'd consider this other truck with the added 4wd and sunroof is because I don't want to wait for a new order to go through. The dealer is offering to buyback $1590 less than purchase but that is unacceptable since these issues are no fault of the customer.

From a business standpoint it would seem that GM would offer a extended warranty on the the bumper to bumper and drivetrain. So no one would'nt get stuck selling a used truck that had tranny problems. Also they could think that a customer may not keep the truck for the entire time. Who knows how they think.

Oh yeah they think if no one catches them on the the faulty equipment then no one knows. Until there are fataliies involved.

I feel for the families that suffered due to the recalls recently. I never remember anything serious like this back in the day.

UPDATE:

The chevy dealer called today to give me the news about the truck.
They put it on the lift and heard the noise coming form the transmission. Then they called the GM engineering and they told the chevy tech they were aware of the clunking noises coming from these transmissions in the trucks they are putting them in. They informed the tech to not open the transmission but to keep checking back for an update for it. They said it was caused by excessive clearance of the clutch pack.
They said it was safe to drive and it wouldn't cause any problems for me. I was to come back for the update when it ids available.

Isn't any clunking noise form the clutches in a transmission bad . I'd think this would lead to premature wear and then to premature failure.

At least this tech took the time to call GM to ask them about the problem. Now I have two service orders for the same issue but the second order actually recognizes the fix but they say its not available yet. Would this be grounds for the Florida lemon law?

Oh yeah they said maybe early or late February for the update.

if I decide to keep the truck, Id be inclined to ask for an extended warranty, a loner truck until mine is updated and them to make payments until so. Is this sounding right to you guys?

Here are the two service orders. One is when they didnt even look or think to call GM engineering about the tranny. The second is when they decided to call it in.

post-136347-0-31429400-1420073139_thumb.jpg

post-136347-0-70604000-1420073151_thumb.jpg

Pardon my French, but what a complete and utter line of $^*@. They basically said, yep it's junk, we know it's just, and we have no idea how to fix it yet so keep checking back to see when we figure it out. Oh and in the mean time tell the customer who just paid over $50k for this to keep driving it and "it's fine". Can GM make anything right the first year it's out? This makes me want to cancel my 6.2/NHT order and order it as an 2016.

Pardon my French, but what an complete and utter line of $^*@. They basically said, yep it's junk, we know it's just, and we have no idea how to fix it yet so keep checking back to see when we figure it out. Oh and in the mean time tell the customer who just paid over $50k for this to keep driving it and "it's fine". Can GM make anything right the first year its out? This makes me want to cancel my 6.2/NHT order and order it as an 2016.

Yeah it's ashame they do that. I shoulda just budgeted the $ for diesel from the beginning and avoided this. I'm a sucker for the 6.2 though but was wary of the 2014. They just started to mate the 6.2 with the 8 speed in 2015

Pardon my French, but what a complete and utter line of $^*@. They basically said, yep it's junk, we know it's just, and we have no idea how to fix it yet so keep checking back to see when we figure it out. Oh and in the mean time tell the customer who just paid over $50k for this to keep driving it and "it's fine". Can GM make anything right the first year it's out? This makes me want to cancel my 6.2/NHT order and order it as an 2016.

You have no idea what is going on ....

Nice bs rant thou

Please go buy a Ford

You have no idea what is going on ....

Nice bs rant thou

Please go buy a Ford

I see we have a disagreement. If you seam to know more about what is going on, I welcome the chance to learn. Im tired of GMs recent rash of lack of first time quality. My family bleeds GM, owning every single generation of trucks since the 80's and plenty of their other vehicles. I personally work on them (not just change oil and rotate tires) in our shop, so compare to lots of people I feel I have lots of hands on time with them. Some of the vehicles have had problems, but nothing like the numerous issues the K2xx trucks have had. It's as if GM consciously made the decision to let quality slip to save initial costs and figured they would just fix it on the warranty side. My '03 has quadrasteer and while some have issues down the road, it was a complex system GM got right the first time. I would never own a Ford, not because I think they're crap, but for some reason I'm loyal to GM. I just with GM were more loyal to their customer.

I see we have a disagreement. If you seam to know more about what is going on, I welcome the chance to learn. Im tired of GMs recent rash of lack of first time quality. My family bleeds GM, owning every single generation of trucks since the 80's and plenty of their other vehicles. I personally work on them (not just change oil and rotate tires) in our shop, so compare to lots of people I feel I have lots of hands on time with them. Some of the vehicles have had problems, but nothing like the numerous issues the K2xx trucks have had. It's as if GM consciously made the decision to let quality slip to save initial costs and figured they would just fix it on the warranty side. My '03 has quadrasteer and while some have issues down the road, it was a complex system GM got right the first time. I would never own a Ford, not because I think they're crap, but for some reason I'm loyal to GM. I just with GM were more loyal to their customer.

Fair enough on your opinion on quality , I don't care about that , I think the new ones are junk just from reading here, local GM service manager says there are no problems lol, ya right ,

I just think that an organization this size can actually not have a fix for something because engineering has to do a lot of shit to get a fix , your a wrench , you must get that ?

That was my point , I've seen that message from TAC several times as a GM tech

All good bud,

I have a story about a tranny fix some of you out there might remember ....

On mid to late 2000s 4L80s there was a definite gear whine in first gear and it went away in 2nd ,

The fix was , remove tranny , disassemble down to output shaft , if it has end play replace the transmission , it was that cut and dried , later I would remove the t case and reef on the output shaft , then order a tranny lol

Happy new year bud !!

Archived