I have 2014 Silverado 1500. It's got dual exhaust so it does have a deep rumble, but at idle there is a really loud ticking sound coming from the engine that you can hear over the exhaust while sitting in the truck. I asked my local dealer and he said it was completely normal and that all trucks do it but I was sitting next to a other 2014 Silverado in a parking lot and did not notice as loud as mine. Has anybody experienced this?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird I just read complaints on mustang forum I am part of and discussion on zinc additives to remove ticking completely from coyote 5.0L.

I've also read the normal stuff from oil change intervals to lifter noise, yo purge valve solenoid, types of oil.

Weird I just read complaints on mustang forum I am part of and discussion on zinc additives to remove ticking completely from coyote 5.0L.

That's their loud valve train banging around..

I have 2014 Silverado 1500. It's got dual exhaust so it does have a deep rumble, but at idle there is a really loud ticking sound coming from the engine that you can hear over the exhaust while sitting in the truck. I asked my local dealer and he said it was completely normal and that all trucks do it but I was sitting next to a other 2014 Silverado in a parking lot and did not notice as loud as mine. Has anybody experienced this?

Hi ChevyTrucks_95,

We're sorry t hear of your concern with a loud ticking sound. I understand that you are unsatisfied with your dealerships diagnosis, that this is normal. We'd be glad to discuss your concerns further or locate a different dealership for a second diagnosis. Please feel free to send us a PM here on the site if our help is needed!

Andraya

GM Customer Care

i noticed the ticking too. not something im used to. I wouldnt call it "loud" but definitely noticeable at idle outside the truck (cant hear it in the cab). Its actually something thats delaying me from doing some modifications as i am in fear that if it is something wrong and not normal that GM will blame my mods for it and not cover a repair.

My brother in law: "Hey man I meant to tell you when I was standing outside your truck the other day when you pulled up to the house, it was making a really loud ticking noise. You should probably get that looked at."

Me: "No it's just the injectors from the direct injection motor. All of the new trucks do this now."

This will be raising some eyebrows for a while until more people get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Some trucks have a louder click than than others and mine is pretty loud. As others have stated this is the direct injection pump and injectors making the noise. Somewhere I saw a pic of a 2014 Cadillac 5.3 engine that had an additional plastic cover over on top of the engine. I think that it has sound insulation underneath? Anyway I would love to have one of those covers for my 5.3 in my truck to try to make it less noisy. I am seeing what appears to be mounting posts protruding from the top of my engine that I suspect are used to mount that sound cover? Are they possibly putting these on the 2015 trucks now??? I want one real bad but the ones on the Cadillac's have the Cadillac emblem in the middle that might not look real good on a GMC Sierra haha. Let me know if you guys find a source............

The other oddball noise when starting is like a rasp and the dealer says that this is air getting into the oil pump system when it drains down and is NORMAL. I saw a youtube video posted somewhere of a guy that recorded it so apparently that is really common and may actually be as the dealer says NORMAL (operating as designed)

Some trucks have a louder click than than others and mine is pretty loud. As others have stated this is the direct injection pump and injectors making the noise. Somewhere I saw a pic of a 2014 Cadillac 5.3 engine that had an additional plastic cover over on top of the engine. I think that it has sound insulation underneath? Anyway I would love to have one of those covers for my 5.3 in my truck to try to make it less noisy. I am seeing what appears to be mounting posts protruding from the top of my engine that I suspect are used to mount that sound cover? Are they possibly putting these on the 2015 trucks now??? I want one real bad but the ones on the Cadillac's have the Cadillac emblem in the middle that might not look real good on a GMC Sierra haha. Let me know if you guys find a source............

The other oddball noise when starting is like a rasp and the dealer says that this is air getting into the oil pump system when it drains down and is NORMAL. I saw a youtube video posted somewhere of a guy that recorded it so apparently that is really common and may actually be as the dealer says NORMAL (operating as designed)

The Caddy covers fit on these trucks. Both the 5.3L & 6.2L. Several guys have installed them and changed the emblems to the bowtie or GMC.

Haven't read where any of them said it made things quieter though.

Do a search for engine covers, and you should find the thread. Several posted pictures, and some painted and/or added 6.2L badges to them as well for a more custom look.

• 1 year later...

It dosnt have to only be the GDI making the noise. I bought a brand new sierra a year ago. Just yesterday when I started it up to leave work it had a very loud ticking. I shut the engine off and checked the oil ( which the dealer has been doing the services on) it was a quart low. So I drove to napa and bought the right oil ( which being a quart low shoulnt have made the loud ticking) added the oil and still loud ticking. It appears to be valve slap which happens or do called " sucking a valve", meaning the valave is not going all the way to the top leaving a gap causing the noise. I took it straight to the dealer and they listened to it and I have to take it back today and drop it off. They want to keep it over night and hear it on cold startup. After this issue gets fixed I can post about the process and what all it involved. Definitely not happy though after buying a $50,000 truck and have problems!

I bought a new Sierra a year ago. Just yesterday I started my truck up to leave for work and there was a loud ticking. I keep reading these forums and people keeps saying its normal and that its the Direct Inject Fuel. Trust me people, its not! Ive owed this truck for a year now and know what it sounds like running, and that noise has never been there until yeaterday. If you having ticking from your engine and its loud and you can hear it inside the cab, its not the GDI! Its either a lifter or the vaccum pump. Mine sounds like a lifter, passenger side front is where it is the loudest. The truck is at the dealer now, they want to do a cold start on it amd hear it before the engine is warm so we'll see.

Just got a call from the dealer, #6 cylinder had two bent pushrods. So many people keeps saying its the GDI. I would say that if the people complaining about hear it, it's probably not the GDI because you can barley here that unless your standing next to it.

Archived