Cruise Control not working

csuttle

Question

I have on '05 Suburban Z71 1500. My cruise control stopped working so I replaced the stop lamp switch. This didn't help and all fuses are working. I did replace my taillights to L.E.D. lights (not sure if that has anything to do with it). Any thoughts before I spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer or just go on long drives without cruise?

Do you get any indication that cruise is on? On my 2010, there is a light in one of the buttons on the steering wheel controls that is lit up when cruise is on. I don't mean cruise is activated, just that it can be activated.

Do you get any indication that cruise is on? On my 2010, there is a light in one of the buttons on the steering wheel controls that is lit up when cruise is on. I don't mean cruise is activated, just that it can be activated.

I have no light on the dash when the cruise switch is turned on. All lights function as normal (brake, tail and turn). However, before I installed these lights the high mount stop did not work (I figured just burned out bulbs and cruise worked then). This did happen (or at least I noticed) cruise not working shortly after l.e.d.'s were installed. I will put back old tail lights to see if cruise works again. If they do work again (these were $300 l.e.d. taillights), how can I fix this to still use my new lights? Thanks for all of your guys' help.

The bulbs are not going to affect the cruise control. If you want to throw some money at it try the multi-function switch. Do you know how to read a schematic? Own a multimeter?

I do know how to read a schematic but do not own a multimeter. My father-in-law probably does. What is this multi-function switch you speak of?

The point of removing the resistor was just to see if the cruise came back. With LEDs you will always need a device to up the current in the circuit. Back when LEDs were first coming out I seem to recall wiring a standard incandescent bulb in the circuit to get signals to flash correctly on a motorcycle. Problem with doing that is the heat from the bulb when it is also the brake light(not an issue on a bike). LED signals will flash fast because there is not enough current flow without some add-in resistor. You may need a different value resistor. See if cruise works without resistor and post back the result..

Did you change the 3rd brake light? You may want to try taking the bulb out just to see if cruise starts to work. Maybe pick up a LED replacement bulb for it? No idea if the bulb currently in there has a LED replacement available.

You will have to keep in mind that you are trying to correct something that appears to have a design flaw somewhere, so the fix may be a bit odd.

Thanks for all your help/ideas. I will try the easy steps first and let you know. I stopped at autozone today and they said no codes were showing up. The l.e.d. assemblies I put on were Spyder brand and I assume they were designed well as they work correctly. To '06SierraZ71...if I can't find the easy problem, what am I looking for on the multi-function switch? I am not illiterate, however I wouldn't consider myself a backyard mechanic either. Usually YouTube does the trick on helping me fix things. I rebuilt the 396 to my '68 Chevelle, but then again that was simple...you drop a wrench it went to the ground and nothing was computerized.

The bulbs are not going to affect the cruise control. If you want to throw some money at it try the multi-function switch. Do you know how to read a schematic? Own a multimeter?

Ty I was gonna say the same thing but "I'm a smart ass" !!!

Don't forget op , there is only a couple of computers that give you cruise control ,

Back yard wrenching days are over folks , just sayin !!!

Happy new year !!! Lmao

Try removing the resistor and see if it makes any difference. The resister is there to hide the low current of the LED lights. If the current being used is not what the rest of the system expects, there will be some odd results.

Also verify that the resistor is installed on the correct wire.

Can that actual led bulbs be replaced with incandescent bulbs? If so, try that, but remove the resistor as well.

According to WinJet web site all their tail light assemblies require no modification to existing vehicle for them to work. From your post it sounds like you have to made a modification by installing a resistor. Are you able to do as they claim, and "plug and play" these lights?

Got the new resistors. I attached one to the turn signal light wire and one to the brake light wire (both on the drivers side). All lights work correctly and cruise control now works! Happy as hell right now! Thanks guys for all your help.

Got the new resistors. I attached one to the turn signal light wire and one to the brake light wire (both on the drivers side). All lights work correctly and cruise control now works! Happy as hell right now! Thanks guys for all your help.

:) Good to hear. I think that it would helpful if you posted what resistor you started with and what resistor you replaced it with to get the cruise control to work. That is the purpose of these forums. To help other members that might run into the same problem.

Archived