Repair or replace?

wayne36

Question

I have a 2004 Silverado with 163k I am going to need to replace valve seals quote is at 900 and I have a problem with coolant leaking into the motor somewhere. So with that mileage should I just replace the valve seals or drop a rebuild in it. No quotes on a rebuild yet but i'm guessing 3k?

From the OP's description, it appears he has the Castech problem. The only way to tell for sure is to pop the valve covers off and look. If you see the dexcool/oil sludge then you know the heads are done.

I bought new head castings and had a machine shop assemble with existing valves & springs. Machine shop cleaned up the valves, or reground them & put all new guides and seals in.

I ended up replacing both heads, lifters, water pump, hoses, plugs, wires, belts, idler pulley, intake gaskets, head gaskets, new head bolts, exhaust manifold gaskets & bolts. I may have done some other stuff as well, but I can't recall. Between the heads, and all the other parts, I think I had close to $1,500-1,600 in parts.

The truck just turned 150k and all is well. The engine runs smooth as silk. I never did drop the pan. So far so good.

Good luck.

The truck is in good shape other than the valve guide seals, had the coolant system pressurized for leaks and none were found, so they said it could be burning it. The oil doesn't look like it has water it. But yeah 6k for an engine plus labor I would probably buy another truck. I will call tomorrow and get a quote that alone may make my decision for me.

I dont know what junkyards you go to, but the LQ9 was relatively low volume for a truck. And every day get more scarce. i have yet to see one in a junkyard. I had a shop source a wrecked SS to find mine. That truck came from about 10 hrs away.

Get a junker LQ4, LS6 cam it and add 243 cast heads. The same if not more power than an LQ9 with lower compression so later eill be more boost friendly than an LQ9. I wish i went that route now.

The only difference between LQ4 and LQ9 is the pistons. LQ9 has flattops, LQ4 has dished. Bringing this up just to help people not get taken by wreckers selling a LQ4 as a LQ9. These two engines are identical on the outside.

That would depend on whether it's worth it to you or not. A few things you need to consider. How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle? What is the overall condition of the vehicle? For example the condition of the transmission, drive line components, suspension, body and frame condition.

I've seen these engines go in excess of 3ooK mi with proper maintenance. What is the compression of the individual cylinders? Where exactly is the coolant leaking from? Head gasket, intake gaskets? Is it burning the coolant, or leaking internally into the oil? If it's going into the crankcase, have the rod and crank bearings been compromised? These are things you should consider in making an educated decision, then do the math and do what's best for you. A crate engine may be your best option if you plan on keeping the vehicle for awhile, at least you may get a warranty with it. Again depending on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. A rebuild may be a better option as long as the block and heads are in good shape. In the end it's your wallet.....

$6K for a crate??? Holy s**t !!! I used to be able to buy 12 or more cars for that ..... :shakehead:

Since your in TN, I'd venture a guess that the body & frame are still there, unlike the ones up here. It's always cheaper to fix what you've got than to pay for another, then registration, insurance, & associated taxes ...... but with $6K crate engines my line of thinking on that might be wrong. I could buy a pretty decent truck for that, even up here!

But anyway ... if you can do the work yourself with a buddy or 2, that'll save you a TON of money. Valve seals are fairly easy (well, at least they USED to be ...). Yank the heads, get 2 new head gaskets, install the seals, new valve cover gaskets, and you should be good to go for a while. Whatever you do, DON'T TOUCH that damn timing cover! These days it's integrated into the pan ...and if you've got 4x4, you will open up a can of worms so big you'll be dreaming of shoving your truck off the nearest cliff ... or loading full of lead .... or setting it on fire ... or all of the above!

Also another big consideration is whether or not you live in an area that tests for emissions. If not, life will be MUCH easier for you as far as engine options go. Could throw in an old school 350, brand new, for less than a pair of cylinder heads on a LS engine. Lots of options there.

EDIT: I missed the $2,500 core charge there - now that price is a little more reasonable!!

In this wonderful state, they dilute all grades - there is no escape, unless your close to NH. I filled up in NH a few weeks ago (premium), and it felt as if the truck gained 30HP!

The thing with MA is, even though the pump says "10% ethanol", what your actually getting is anyone's guess. There's zero oversight on this for obvious reasons - everyone gets rich except the consumer. The state gets more tax revenue due to your crappy mileage, & the refiners make a killing cutting their product.

One particularly crappy tank I got at Hess read 19.7% alcohol content on my scan tool. :nonod:

The only difference between LQ4 and LQ9 is the pistons. LQ9 has flattops, LQ4 has dished. Bringing this up just to help people not get taken by wreckers selling a LQ4 as a LQ9. These two engines are identical on the outside.

Yes they do. And they also arent happy if you use regular 87 octane

In this wonderful state, they dilute all grades - there is no escape, unless your close to NH. I filled up in NH a few weeks ago (premium), and it felt as if the truck gained 30HP!

The thing with MA is, even though the pump says "10% ethanol", what your actually getting is anyone's guess. There's zero oversight on this for obvious reasons - everyone gets rich except the consumer. The state gets more tax revenue due to your crappy mileage, & the refiners make a killing cutting their product.

One particularly crappy tank I got at Hess read 19.7% alcohol content on my scan tool. :nonod:

E10 is pretty much everywhere. NH phased it in based on counties air quality or some BS. The area around Tilton was one of the last to switch from mtbe but that was still more than a decade ago. When I was at the Hyundai dealer the training rep said New England in general had junk gas quality.

Archived