1500 or 2500

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a new Silverado. I am stuck between buying a new 1500 with the new 6.2 or a 2500HD with the Duramax. I drive a lot of freeway miles, ride dirt bikes on the weekend, and tow a 9,000 LBS travel trailer 15-20 times a year.

I currently have a 2003 1500HD and its been a great truck. What do you think will work best for me? Is the 2500HD overkill for what I will be using it for? I'm looking for a truck that will do it all, take care of business during the week and play hard on the weekends without worrying about reliability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 7-8000lbs I would say a 1/2 ton is good, but above 8,000 lbs then 3/4 ton is much easier choice to recommend. For you I would say the 2500HD with gasser will work fine also, but a DMax will not even know it's back there. The DMax maybe a little overkill, but I always say better to have, and not need, than need and not have.

For the difference in gas, might as well go 2500 and always have the power available. I don't think I'll ever go back to a 1/2 ton and I probably do about the same towing as you---horse trailer/horses/gear probably every other wknd during riding season--Jun thru Nov, maybe . . .Rest of it's mix of country and in-town driving to work.

I think your right on the edge for both. 1500 for daily driving will be much nicer, and with the 6.2L I'd certainly consider the 3.73 gear option if you go that route. I think if it was me, I'd do the 6.2L for the comfortable ride. I owned a 2011 6.2L 6-speed with 3.73 gears and it was a towing beast. I towed about 7,500 to 8,000 lbs loaded quite regular and always had the power needed to pass when needed and stopped the trailer just fine too.

I agree with the others. The duramax would be super cool, but is probably overkill for what you need. And, I'd say you're right between the two when it comes down to a 1500 6.2 and a 2500HD gasser. If you're a guy who leaves their truck completely stock, then the 1500 would probably be better. It will ride nicer and get better mpg. If you like to level/lift your trucks and run larger tires, then I'd suggest a 2500HD. I wish I would have gotten the HD, myself. I daily drive the truck in my signature, and my dad daily drives a 2500HD gasser. Our trucks ride about the same (mine rode smoother before the 2" lift and LT tires though). His truck gets 1-2 mpg less than mine...which isn't much of a difference. And, his truck does 'truck stuff' (like towing and hauling) much better than mine. The HD's are a lot more truck for the money, and a 1500 with a level and 33's will get about the same mpg as a 2500 gasser. Just my two cents...

2500 all the way. Getting the weight moving isn't the issue, it's getting it stopped.

The bigger brakes and heavier suspension of the 2500 make a huge difference in emergency braking. Either engine and especially the diesel, can get 9000 pounds moving too fast with little effort. The extra weight on the 2500 will help prevent the tail wagging the dog in crosswinds.

1500 will need weight distribution. Also the tongue weight of the trailer will eat over half of your payload on the 1500.

2500 all the way. Getting the weight moving isn't the issue, it's getting it stopped.

The bigger brakes and heavier suspension of the 2500 make a huge difference in emergency braking. Either engine and especially the diesel, can get 9000 pounds moving too fast with little effort. The extra weight on the 2500 will help prevent the tail wagging the dog in crosswinds.

1500 will need weight distribution. Also the tongue weight of the trailer will eat over half of your payload on the 1500.

So with the 2500 I won't need a WDH?

I moved up from a 2011 1500 to a 2015 2500. Given the prices of a nicely outfitted truck, its very easy (at least for me) to consider an HD. The only downsides are the mileage and the ride quality. With the 2500 Duramax, the breakeven on extra cost of the diesel will be 100-125K miles. The mpg for the 6.0 is very bad. (I hear its improves over time). Even on the highway I average 13+-. Also, the ride, especially under no load is noticeably rougher. This is more pronounced for the crew sitting in the back. You feel it on rural roads less so than the highway. Bumpy, dirt or gravel roads are even worse That being said, I don't think I would ever go back to a 1500. The extra capability in terms of payload and towing is hard to ignore. You can throw a lot more at this truck and it can handle it. Its better prepared to handle "abuse". Also resale value, especially for the diesel will be better. Plus no amber marker lights on the 1500

2500 HD - if youwant a more civil ride Don't Get the z71 ... helps slightly

A 1500 6.2 will add $2500 vs the 2500HD which is about $3500 over the similar 1500 non 6.2 (5.3), but the the 25HD gives you HD tranny, brakes cooling , alt (built in lift kit) ... much better deal, and the 25HD will not need a WDH ...

The diesel add is over $8000, if thats what you want

my 11 6.0 25 HD pulls my 8500 lbs boat with no issue, I get 13-14 mpg combined and 12 towing +-

Build a few here and compare prices:

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-2500hd-pickup-truck/build-and-price.html?x-zipcode=01985

I moved up from a 2011 1500 to a 2015 2500. Given the prices of a nicely outfitted truck, its very easy (at least for me) to consider an HD. The only downsides are the mileage and the ride quality. With the 2500 Duramax, the breakeven on extra cost of the diesel will be 100-125K miles. The mpg for the 6.0 is very bad. (I hear its improves over time). Even on the highway I average 13+-. Also, the ride, especially under no load is noticeably rougher. This is more pronounced for the crew sitting in the back. You feel it on rural roads less so than the highway. Bumpy, dirt or gravel roads are even worse That being said, I don't think I would ever go back to a 1500. The extra capability in terms of payload and towing is hard to ignore. You can throw a lot more at this truck and it can handle it. Its better prepared to handle "abuse". Also resale value, especially for the diesel will be better. Plus no amber marker lights on the 1500

Wow, little surprised at the MPG with the Duramax on the highway. I thought I could get 20 mpg on a smooth stretch.

Wow, little surprised at the MPG with the Duramax on the highway. I thought I could get 20 mpg on a smooth stretch.

I think the only way you'll see 20 in a Dmax is coasting down hill.

I average about 14-15 mixed daily driving. Best I see empty on the freeway is 17ish.

My truck is a leveled 4x4 and I usually cruise between 75-80 on the freeway if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived