1500 or 2500

Maybe gutless was the wrong word. However, the current 6.0 has similar power numbers to the current 5.3 correct? The 6.0 is in a much heavier truck. Difference is gearing.

Similar numbers, the 6.0 feels like it has a much broader torque band. GM's heavy handed torque management makes the 6.0 a bit slower off the line than it should be, but once it gets moving it's fine.

A stock Duramax driven gently, kept at or below 60 on the freeway, with factory highway tires, and no suspension changes can put out surprisingly good MPG numbers. A lot of little things that account for .25-.5 MPG add up and a conservative driving style can easily get a 30% boost in MPG over a aggressive driving style. There's a guy at work that drive a 14 and gets 24-25mpg, but riding with him is pure torture, it's like getting the silent treatment from a tree hugger in a Prius.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of travel trailer (tt) do you have? Is it a toy hauler? When towing the tt, what do you have loaded in the bed? Aprox weight of the passengers when towing the tt?

Power wise, a 6.2 is all you need to pull 9klbs (this is loaded trailer weight, not gvwr of the trailer, correct?). I never felt underpowered with my '10- 1500 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4 towing about ~730lbs (in Mi- not sure where your located!)

BUT... pulling that much weight isn't the issue with a 1500. It is the limited payload. You currently have what is a 2500(non HD) with the 1500HD. I think the gvwr was about 8600lbs, compared to 9200lbs for the HD. Your tongue weight (tw) is probably in the range of 1100-1350lbs (based on 12-15% tw of loaded 9klbs). Most 1500's have around 1500lbs, to maybe 1700lbs payload before any accessories, gear, or passengers are added to or in the truck. Add in any firewood, coolers, etc as well. If I remember correctly, the 1500HD has over 2klbs payload.

You should still use a wd hitch even for a 2500hd. It will restore most of the weight to the front axle that is lost when towing trailer with a higher tw. Won't feel like it is "floating" as much in the front end.

If you go with a 6.0, stay with the 4.10's. I am happy with my combo, BUT the 4.10's give something like an additional 4klb tow rating over the 3.73's (did for '13 & '14 trucks, should be similar if not the same for the '15's (same drivetrain/frame). If given a choice between 2 trucks, and that was the only difference, I would take the 4.10's. Better take off, better merging on the e-way, etc. Though my truck towing ~7300lbs (truck loaded with about 600lbs firewood also) will get up and go pretty good when getting on the e-way.

My travel trailer is 9,000 loaded and then I like to put dirt bikes in the back with firewood. Then its my wife and I and our two small kids inside. My 1500HD does the job with the 6.0, however, its taxed on certain grades.

Thank you all for the feed back so far.

To be honest, I say only get a 2500 if you actually need it. With the #s that 1/2 tons can do now it takes a lot more weight to need a 2500 now. Until the '14s I could understand (because I said it myself) that if someone needed a crew cab but wouldn't want to lose bed space they would just get a 2500. But, now starting with the '14s you can get a 1500 crew cab with the standard 6.5' bed so that's not an issue. Of course I'm in the "get what you want, it's your money" club, but even though you get more for what you pay for with a 2500 that doesn't mean everybody should get a 2500.

My travel trailer is 9,000 loaded and then I like to put dirt bikes in the back with firewood. Then its my wife and I and our two small kids inside. My 1500HD does the job with the 6.0, however, its taxed on certain grades. Thank you all for the feed back so far.

Not sure how much the dirt bikes weigh, or how much firewood you take, but figuring about 400lbs for the bikes, and firewood could easily be 200lbs, not sure you have a choice between the 1500 & 2500HD. Don't see any way you would stay under the rear axle rating (rar) (about 4klbs) or even the gvwr of a 1500. At least 1100lbs tw, plus 5-600lbs in the bed. My last truck, with a cab high topper, spray in liner, ~150lbs in the bed (4 bikes, tool box), and 920lbs tw (~7300lbs loaded trailer weight) I was at the rar and over the gvwr by about 200lbs in our '10-1500. I know the '14- current 1500's have a little higher gvwr (7200lbs), but not sure you could stay under the ratings even with the higher gvwr.

Verify 4.10 gears if you go with the 6.0. The 3.73's may work, but you would probably be at the gcwr. I think the D-Max has 3.73's, no issue there at all!

What part of the US do you live? What gears are in your 1500HD, and what kind of shape is the truck in? IF your 1500HD is in good shape, has 3.73's, what about a gear change? Step to 4.10's, or even a little steeper gear set. A lot cheaper than a new truck. Just a crazy thought! Unless you WANT the new tow beast!

4.10 gears come standard on the 6.0 now, only a idiot would pay extra to get 3.73's!

I agree, but it may be a case when the only truck available that someone likes has the 3.73's. I know I wouldn't take them if given the choice. Should just eliminate the 3.73 option!

I haven't posted here in a while, but this thread hits home w/ me. I've been towing campers in the 5k to 7k+ lb (loaded) range w/ 1500s for a long time. I fall square into the camp of ~8k lbs max for a 1500 when towing long distances (hitting the interstates), or often. It's not the power, but the frame/suspension that makes the difference, when high winds, big trucks, crazy roads and weather hit (sometimes all at once). Even for mine, I'm running Michelin LT/E tires, and put the pressure to ~55 psi when towing. That cuts into daily mpg and ride comfort (not much, but a little), but it's well worth it when towing w/ family on board. That, plus the Reese dual cam makes for a comfortable/safe tow, but I really wouldn't want another 400 lbs in the truck plus 2k lbs more at the hitch.

If daily driving is the priority, then my vote would be to lighten the load and get the 1500. If you intend to stick w/ that camper plus the toys... then you're well into HD zone, especially if towing much distance.

My 2 cents... for what little it's worth.

Because a 6.0 would be painful with say 3.42's, haha

Would be better than the 5.3/3.42 combo, but with the 6spd tranny it isn't an issue for up to ~7500lbs or so depending on where your located. As I mentioned, never felt underpowered with my '10-1500 5.3/6spd/3.42 towing ~7300lbs.

Still would like to see a 1500HD/2500LD (about a 8500-9klb gvwr) with 5.3/6spd/3.73, or even the combo you mentioned, 6.0/6spd/3.42. Would be perfect for those who need a little more payload for towing, but don't need the full 9500lb gvwr 2500HD. Similar to the old 1500HD's. Tow rating about 9500lbs like the 2500HD 3.73 trucks, then the 4.10 trucks are the "HD" model, with ~ 13klb tow rating.

Would be better than the 5.3/3.42 combo, but with the 6spd tranny it isn't an issue for up to ~7500lbs or so depending on where your located. As I mentioned, never felt underpowered with my '10-1500 5.3/6spd/3.42 towing ~7300lbs.

Still would like to see a 1500HD/2500LD (about a 8500-9klb gvwr) with 5.3/6spd/3.73, or even the combo you mentioned, 6.0/6spd/3.42. Would be perfect for those who need a little more payload for towing, but don't need the full 9500lb gvwr 2500HD. Similar to the old 1500HD's. Tow rating about 9500lbs like the 2500HD 3.73 trucks, then the 4.10 trucks are the "HD" model, with ~ 13klb tow rating.

Ehh not sure how a 6.0 would be better than a 5.3 with 3.42's, the 6.0 is in a much heavier truck. And they do make 5.3 max tow with 3.73 like you said. Also the 6.2. I'm not sure what all they offer with the 6.0? All 4.10 or what.

I'm sure the 3.73 option was for someone that does a lot of interstate driving. Not only will it get a little better mileage but it will lower the RPMs so maybe the wear and tear wouldn't be as much. I care more for lower RPMs than mileage because of that. I personally see no need in anything lower (higher #) than 3.73 unless it's lifted. Even if it was just a tow rig. For a diesel it might help the towing if the RPMs were a tad higher on the interstate, but a gasser I would prefer lower RPMs.

I'm sure the 3.73 option was for someone that does a lot of interstate driving. Not only will it get a little better mileage but it will lower the RPMs so maybe the wear and tear wouldn't be as much. I care more for lower RPMs than mileage because of that. I personally see no need in anything lower (higher #) than 3.73 unless it's lifted. Even if it was just a tow rig. For a diesel it might help the towing if the RPMs were a tad higher on the interstate, but a gasser I would prefer lower RPMs.

What? Diesels make peak torque at a MUCH lower rpm than gassers. Why would you want your diesel to be spinning faster?

What? Diesels make peak torque at a MUCH lower rpm than gassers. Why would you want your diesel to be spinning faster?

I said it MIGHT help and also said on the interstate so I was meaning after it got up to speed. From driving 18 wheelers snd class B straight trucks I'm well aware of diesels. I guess I didn't think it through right when saying that.

Ehh not sure how a 6.0 would be better than a 5.3 with 3.42's, the 6.0 is in a much heavier truck. And they do make 5.3 max tow with 3.73 like you said. Also the 6.2. I'm not sure what all they offer with the 6.0? All 4.10 or what.

BUT, the max tow does not have the PAYLOAD I was referring to. Load a family up in a crew cab, load the bed up, hook up a trailer ~ about 7500lbs (or more) and you probably are over the gvwr and the rar of a 1500, even the max tow. Though to pull ~7500lbs I never felt my '10-1500 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4 was underpowered. Yes, it needed to rev some heading north here in Mi, but never a lack of power. In the mountains I am sure it would be taxed more. We just didn't have the needed PAYLOAD in the 1500. We were at the rar, and over the gvwr by up to 200lbs depending on what was in the bed (4 bikes and a tool box). That was with twin 10yo boys who are only going to grow and get heavier and most of the stuff (heavy) in the trailer (coolers & firewood).

Desertracer would probably be over gvwr and rar if he had a 7500lb trailer and dirt bikes and firewood in the bed. Make the 1500 with a higher gvwr, or a lighter 2500 gvwr, and he would be ok. BUT with his 9klb trailer, he needs a 2500 (gas motor is enough though).

In '13 the 3.73's were standard, 4.10's the "up charge/upgrade". '14- 4.10's were standard with the 3.73's the "up charge/upgrade". '15 is the same still unless GM changed it AGAIN! Lol

The 6.0 has a little more hp & tq (Disclaimer- this is comparing the '10-5.3 I had to my '13-6.0, haven't drove any of the new 5.3's!) than what the 5.3 had.

Archived