Humm, Bearings or tires

TJMaine

Question

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3L No lift, no level. New BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains.

I'm new to owning a truck so anything I hear on the truck that sounds different worries me.

Put new tires on last fall, very quiet for the first 1,000 miles or so, then seem to get louder..

The hum i was referring to doesn't get worse or better when turning the wheel ( which leads me to believe it's the tires vs the bearings )

Any input would be great. 190k miles so every hum and creak worries me and I want to stay on top of maintenance.

15 answers to this question

Take a close look at the tread of the tires. Make sure that all 4 tires have the same pattern of wear on them. Look specifically for tread starting to look like a feather. In other words, if you slide the palm of your hand around the circumference of the tire in one direction, does it feel/appear to be the same as the other direction. ( I've been keeping a close eye on that, looks even to me, also rotate every 3k miles because it's free... whenever i get an oil change, they rebalance the tire and check air pressure )

Are these ties "P" type tires or are they "LT" type tires. The tire size on the sidewall will tell you that. What air pressures are you running? Is the hum/vibration worse on cold tires than on warm tires? Does it change on acceleration or hard braking?

P265/70R17
113T SL 480 A B 2305 lbs. 44 psi 12.5/32" 40 lbs. 7-9" 8" 10.7" 8.4" 31.7" 657 US

This is whats on the truck right now.... I dont see LT on there anywhere, so I am assuming the P in P265 is the P you were referring to
Tire pressure is 32 at operating temp... when it's really cold ( as in your dog wont even take a dump outside cold ) it's 27... and no there is no difference when accelerating or braking

You do not say if it is a 4wd truck, so if it is, put the truck in 4wd and see if the hum/vibration is the same. Remember to not leave it in 4wd afterwards.
Truck is 4wd, but the hum that comes on when 4wd is engaged is completely different. I still here the original hum but the 4wd makes it's own hum...

Yeah and like i said before the hum doesnt get worse or better when turning. ( i've diagnosed bad bearings on cars before ) just not used to driving a truck. My father in law would be the one to help me with this but he recently passed away so trying to do these things on my own.... even if i have to learn the hard way.

Jack up your front end and spin each tire while holding the spring/ torsion bar feel for vibration. If it's smooth probably just tires. If one side has more vibration than the other probably a bearing going bad.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

finally someone with some mechanical information. Dude if you're rotating tires regularly as often as you say, have them wiggle the slack or spin it. 07's aren't as bad but Chevrolet wheel bearings SUCK! Put a jack under it and feel of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been my experience that as the tire tread gets shorter and they wear they get louder.

Unless you see them rotate your tires you might inconspicuously mark each one then check them once its done. More times than not I have caught the shop not rotating the tires but saying they did.

Bearings tend to make a whirring noise, not so much a hum.

Jack up your front end and spin each tire while holding the spring/ torsion bar feel for vibration. If it's smooth probably just tires. If one side has more vibration than the other probably a bearing going bad.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

been a busy week, my pool has a hole in it and the ice caved in ( pool still standing ) it's been 10 degrees every night I get home... Im hoping to get her on the lift this weekend and look

And the tire pressure I will check on my lunch break today. Havent taken lunch all week.. just a craptastic week all around

Take a close look at the tread of the tires. Make sure that all 4 tires have the same pattern of wear on them. Look specifically for tread starting to look like a feather. In other words, if you slide the palm of your hand around the circumference of the tire in one direction, does it feel/appear to be the same as the other direction.

Are these ties "P" type tires or are they "LT" type tires. The tire size on the sidewall will tell you that. What air pressures are you running? Is the hum/vibration worse on cold tires than on warm tires? Does it change on acceleration or hard braking?

You do not say if it is a 4wd truck, so if it is, put the truck in 4wd and see if the hum/vibration is the same. Remember to not leave it in 4wd afterwards.

We've been slammed with snow all winter and the garage I would use to jack up the truck currently has a race car being built... As much as I dont want to let it go I have to wait until I have some solid ground to mess around with. I had the tires rotated again at 7k and all tire pressure checked and it's the same noise. I'll be looking into this as soon as I can and will update. If it's bearings so be it LOL

Archived