What did you drive in High School?

sahls01gmc

It was necessary to push the dinosaur bones out of the roadway so I could drive my 51' Chevy Sport Coupe, 6 cyl, three speed with dual exhaust and lowered 2" in the front, topped off with Oldsmobile spinner hubcaps. Not much today but in 1958 it was a cool ride for a kid working after school to finance the weekend dates.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Hs 98-02 and drove a '90 Trans Am w/ t-tops, I think I paid around $5k. Looking back it's probably my least favorite firebird generation but I thought it was pretty sweet then. My GF (father was a doctor) factory ordered a '00 Camaro SS convertible, with a little input from me maybe.

• 1 month later...

81 Sierra Classic. Got it all original in cherry condition from an old man. Loved that truck! People made fun of me when I got it, but they shut up when I started working on it. That was back before everybody wanted these things. Said it was an old man truck lol

0RywbVr.png

Graduates in the late 80's so of course I drove a 81 Chevette. My dad bought it for me in very rough condition and said if you want to drive a car you gotta fix it up and make it today worthy. I was barely 15 at the time but I replaced the clutch, swapped out the shock towers, did a tune up and a multitude of other things. I knew it was only a Chevette but it was freedom!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dad bought in 1970 a brand new 70 Chevelle SS, 396, Muncie Rockcrusher tranny w/4.11 positrac. 12 second car right off the show room floor. Bored 402 from the factory with 375 hp.

I turned 16 in 1977 and after taking the drivers test in my mothers little 73 Opel GT (poor man's Vette) since it was much easier to parallel park, we came home from taking the test, he tossed me the keys to the Chevelle and says "just dont wreck it".

In less than a year i went thru 3 sets of tires and 2 clutches. He sold it before i turned 17 claiming i was gonna kill myself if he didnt.

I saw the exact same car on Barrett Jackson several years ago, all original, showroom condition with about 1000 original miles sell for $250K. DAMN i wish i still had that car!!!! Everyone in my HS loved it.

Dad bought in 1970 a brand new 70 Chevelle SS, 396, Muncie Rockcrusher tranny w/4.11 positrac. 12 second car right off the show room floor. Bored 402 from the factory with 375 hp.

I turned 16 in 1977 and after taking the drivers test in my mothers little 73 Opel GT (poor man's Vette) since it was much easier to parallel park, we came home from taking the test, he tossed me the keys to the Chevelle and says "just dont wreck it".

In less than a year i went thru 3 sets of tires and 2 clutches. He sold it before i turned 17 claiming i was gonna kill myself if he didnt.

I saw the exact same car on Barrett Jackson several years ago, all original, showroom condition with about 1000 original miles sell for $250K. DAMN i wish i still had that car!!!! Everyone in my HS loved it.

I would have gotten killed, killed someone else or at least lost my license if I had a performance car while in HS. I got in enough trouble in stock full size trucks as it is. I'm 32 now and I want to say I could get a Camaro and be able to control myself, but I'm really not sure lol.

I hear that. I lost my license THREE TIMES ... and I drove an '88 S15 with a gutless 2.5 liter Iron Duke 4-banger. :lol:

Dad owned a body shop, so whatever I got was going to be a total that was rebuilt.

First was a 78 Jeep CJ-7. 6 cylinder 3 speed. Fun. I wanted a Trans Am, but he said no hot rod. So the Jeep it was. Had an 81 CJ-7 after that. Had an El Camino briefly.

Ended up with a 76 Trans Am my last year. Didn't kill myself, but came close a few times, and got a ton of tickets.

Archived