New 2015 6.0 4x4 CC orrrrr

Or should I Get a used 2011 or newer duramax. Diesel is $.90 more than regular gas here, but I like the aftermarket for diesels. The new 6.0 I'm looking at is just an LT model but has the 8 inch screen backup camera remote start. If I go used duramax Id rather get a LTZ or Denali under 75k miles. Hmmm any input? :driving:

With the Duramax you have to worry about head gaskets, emission issues, egr, def, gelling, water in fuel, and the worst one is that it has a crappy injection pump that goes out (CP4.2) and when that happens its $14,000 to r+r and GM like to not cover that under warranty.

So you get a little more power and a little more mileage for a lot more money and a lot more headaches, makes the gasser a no brained for me...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, unless one has a definitive daily need for the grunt of the Dmax, it is not the best option for the average buyer. The emissions stuff can prove to be a real nightmare sometimes. When everything works, it works great. When something goes wrong, you will probably invent new swear words.

I just wish we could do with these pickups what I did with my semi truck..... buy a new production complete truck, minus the engine and trans, and put in a pre-emission engine and trans at the user end. I bought a 2013 Freightliner that way. Brand new truck all the way around, just without an engine and trans. They included all the wiring harness and plumbing for me to drop in the engine I had told them I was going to use. So I have a late model truck with no emissions junk of any kind on it. Totally legal in all but California, and currently has 360,000 miles on it and is almost the best semi truck I have ever driven or owned.

Wouldn't it be great to buy a 2015 2500/3500 and be able to drop in a pre-emission Dmax into it? Life would truly be good.

Archived