Installed Borla/GM cat-back Exhaust System

Friday I finished the install. I went with the two rear exit pipes with black chrome tips. Sounds great when you fire it up. Now all of a sudden I'm not as annoyed with the 6 speed AT because each upshift sounds great. Getting on freeway on ramps is great fun now. I listened to about an hour of You Tube videos before going with Borla. They have a great company video on there that's 6m25s and it's all on 2014 & 2015 Silverados and Sierras with the 5.3 or 6.2 V8. They say they have 2 models available: the Touring which is a bit quieter at idle and the Sport which is a bit louder all around. I ordered mine thru the dealer and there was no choice between Touring and Sport. The one GM sells is the touring style.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a true dual exhaust or did you just add the tail pipes.

Not true dual exhaust. It's 1 big pipe into muffler (right from 3rd cat) and 2 smaller diameter pipes (2.25" diameter I believe) out to each side of the rear bumper. There's a lot of info available on Borla's site about pipe diameter and the part they play in tuning the engine. They talk about the mistake many people make by just throwing 3" and 3.5" pipe all over and how ruins the performance and sound. Interesting site.

Edit:

p.s. I'll try for some pics this weekend.

Please post them asap! I'm leaning towards the Borla myself.

Jeff

I will but don't wait on me. Go to www.borla.com and just look around. There's videos for our trucks and much better sound files and photos than I could do. I'll get something up in the next few days. If nothing else, the black chrome tips coming out beneath the chrome bumper looks pretty cool. The 1st truck company to release a truck with this black chrome on the bumpers and mirrors and trim pieces is going to pick up some business.

What was the cost and install price?

I went thru the dealer because they said they'd warranty it on my bumper to bumper warranty. Their price was like $1239 I think. Plus $170 for the tips. I'm friendly with a guy there that let me use a lift and even helped out when two people were needed. I gave him $50 for "lunch on me" and everyone was happy. Not 100% sure but I believe the dealer's labor would normally be about $60-$70. Kind of steep but I'm satisfied it's been done correctly and have no worries over warranty work. I think I saw the system on one of those shopchevyparts.com sites, a few months ago for like $999 plus tips.

I didn't even bother to ask about HP or TQ gains until after I had installed it. Best I could find on Borla's site was a guy answering an online question a year or so ago, and he said it was safe to figure a minimum increase of 3%-5%HP. That's about 10-17HP on my stock 5.3L V8 (355HP). All I really cared about was having that correct muscle car sound so I'd be happy with even 10HP.

Anybody have any issues with a clunking noise with the Borla. When I hit harder bumps or dirt roads I hear it clunk underneath my vehicle. I can kick the muffler with my foot and hear the same noise.

Going back to dealer.

Dwayne

Haven't heard anything like that. You should check for a loose clamp or a section of pipe that's torqued out of place. There are a lot of junctions that all need to line up and then be tightened a little bit at a time.

I also went with the GM Borla Exhaust. Even though Borla won't confirm that the GM system uses their "Touring" muffler, that's probably what it is. They claim the muffler in the GM Borla system is "to GM Specifications" but probably is the regular Borla "Touring" model.

I am very happy with the system. For some, it might be a little on the tame side, but for me, it's just perfect. One thing you have to remember is that with the cabs of the new trucks being so quiet, the exhaust sound outside is quite a bit louder than you would think. I had my son drive my truck and I stood outside so I could hear the exhaust, and I was quite surprised as to how much sound there actually is. You wouldn't know I had a "performance exhaust" on the truck from the inside, until you get on the go pedal. Then it's a nice rumble as the RPM's increase. I have no drone at all, and no problem with the V4 "flutter / helicopter sound" etc. It's a perfect sound for me, a fair bit louder than "Stock" but not at all raspy or offensive.

The GM Borla system has an integrated adaptive exhaust valve, where as a system purchased directly through Borla, even though one for a GM truck, will not have this valve. It must be this valve that controls all the unwanted drone etc. The system is pricey, but it works. I was apprehensive when I first decided to go this way, as the price was similar to the OP's, but after having had the system on now for about 3 months, I don't regret the cost. The system gives me the sound I want, without any of the usual annoyances that are present with a lot of the other systems out there.

REV

A few pics of the GM Borla System, and the Borla adaptive valve, included with the system

post-133793-0-95014700-1422036041_thumb.jpg

post-133793-0-00208300-1422036067_thumb.jpg

Archived