Avalanche 2500 Maintenance

Decided to edit this post. Instead of "beefing up" performance, I'm gonna start with maintenance. Tune up, just plugs and wires? Also think trans fluid change. Should I have it flushed? The truck has 130k-ish miles on it and not sure what PO did, if anything, to the truck. This is my 2nd year with the truck. I use it mainly for short trips to town and for hauling our 33' TT. It seems to be sluggish on the freeway and decent hills. Goes like a bat-out-of-hell when towing other wise, comapred to my Sierra 1500 it replaced anyway. Should I just stick with the tune up and see how she does or do you recommend anything else I should do to help add more power for the hills and freeway hauling?

My son still has my 2001 2500 Avalanche 4X4 they did only come with the 8.1.. I really liked this engine. They were known to burn oil, did not smoke but seemed normal for this engine to burn 1 quart per 3000 miles. I think GM had buku complaints about burning oil ,probably why it was discontinued..

I'd do all the tune up/maint items. Then see where you're at. That's what I'm doing to my truck right now. Bought it with over 363k miles. Runs & drives great. Working on changing all fluids, tune up, maint items & fixing all the little things.

02 sensors, cats, fuel filter, seafoam, plugs, wires, coil packs, dealer fuel system service, clean maf, tb.

o2 sensors aren't a bad idea. Fuel filter, plugs, and wires, and a throttle body cleaning are a good idea.

Skip the cats and coil packs. They aren't preventative maintenance items. Just replace them if and when they fail.

Archived