2015 Yukon - Really Hard Idle

My 2015 Yukon, with just over 3000 miles on it, has a really hard idle. Whenever I'm stopped at a light, the vehicle shakes pretty hard. Sometimes the shaking comes and goes while I'm stopped, or it just shakes the entire time. Has anyone else been having this problem?

I took it back to my dealer and they said that there was a bulletin about this and all that needed to be done was to adjust the engine mounts. Well, they did that but it still shakes and it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'm scheduled to bring my vehicle back in to service tomorrow but this time I'm taking it to a different dealer.

I've seen a lot of these with a loose plug wire(s). No ses light, just rough idle. I am a service writer at a Chevy dealership. We usually replace the loose plug wire mostly because if it happened once.... But reinstalling the plug wire would probably be just fine.

Ok, so to update. I just got my Yukon back from the second dealer and now the idle is WORSE. The shaking/shimmying is constant and a lot harder. They said that they checked the engine and the wires and everything was fine. However they did find that the engine mounts were out of alignment so they readjusted them. So this is the second time that the mounts have been adjusted and now the problem is worse than when I had brought it in.

This vehicle is a CPO and had 2700 miles on it when I bought it and it's now at 4100. How can I get GM to look into this problem and fix it?

Is that number for GM Customer Care? I'm in Houston, TX. I don't know if I'm allowed to say where I bought the vehicle from.

I just got off the phone with GM Customer Care, but I called a different number than the one you gave, and they're supposed to put me in touch with the Customer Experience person at the dealer where I bought my vehicle. I just don't know what good that would do.

• 1 month later...

Every Tahoe I've driven, including my old 2013 Tahoe had the same issue. Its terrible to hear the new yukon/tahoe still has this issue.

I brought my tahoe to 4 dealers for the issue and they all denied it was even a problem. Also got nowhere with GM customer support.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had the hard idle/shivering fixed for the most part but I've recently discovered that it shivers when idle when I have the AC cranked up.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing that?

Yeah, GM customer care hasn't really followed up with anything nor has the customer experience person at the dealership.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry I can't offer a fix for you. Mine is still having this shivering problem, sometimes more pronounced than others. I don't know that anyone has found a real fix for this issue though, or if they have they haven't come back on here to share. My husband's hoping it will go away after a while, like the car needs time to settle or something.

Have you taken it back to your dealer to get them to try to fix it again?

My husband's hoping it will go away after a while, like the car needs time to settle or something.

If that were the case it would have been mentioned in the owners manual similar to new vehicle "break-in" where GM tells you to drive around 55 within the first 500 miles. Shaking didn't happen with my truck and it shouldn't be happening with yours, there is nothing that needs to settle. Especially something happening as you guys describe it. Adjusting motor mounts seems to be initially too complicated, but techs have to go with a provided fix. When you step back a minute, rpms appear to be running too low or some emission control component is faulty. Worse case scenario with erratic idling, electrical problem.

Go out and crank the truck, after about a minute it should be idling between 500 - 800 rpms in park and in neutral. If rpms are lower than 500, this may cause your truck to shake. Ask the tech to run a diagnostic of the following items; (1) emission components, (2) ensure the idle is within it's correct operating range, (3) alternator. Ensure the diagnostic results are documented on your service invoice.

Edited by The Zip

• 4 months later...

We have a 2015 Suburban with 8,000 miles on it that has the same problem plus our touch display has been blinking out here and there. It's currently at the dealership where they found...wait for it...106 codes (most involving LOW voltage) when they hooked it up to the diagnostic computer. They are telling us that there is a bulletin about computer problems but that there is not currently a fix. WOW!!!

Edited by solarjedi

• 1 year later...

I have owned 7 Tahoes and Yukon XL in the past 13 years. I love these cars but this issue with the vibration and shaking at red lights and when idileing is ridiculous. My 2016 started doing it at 700 miles and has been doing it ever since. I now have 16k mikes and I am so tired of it. My car has been in several times with no fix. I have been told "off the record" that GM is fully aware of this problem and that they have software engineers working on a software update. I think that GM should buy these cars back if they can't make a update to fix them. We paid for cars that run new... not cars that run like a old piece of crap. I am disgusted with how GM is handling this. It's been 10 months and they still can't figure out a software update. I am a loyal repeat customer and if GM doesn't get this taken care of soon, they will never have my business again. I will trade out of this and go to another manufacture.

Edited by Kristin Jacobs
  • Like 1