Tail gate

So this is a stupid question but it is my first truck. I have the Sierra AT 1500 and I am wondering how does the tail gate come off? I thought you unhooked the cabled and the popped the tailgate from the left side and then slide it out. It just doesn't look like it comes out. Or so i need an wrench?

Thanks guys

The Owners Manual is your friend. For Silverados "Tailgate Removal" is on page 2-11. Removes just like the older models (like my 2011 did), but if you have a camera, it needs to be disconnected first (OM tells you how to do that too).

Thanks guys, i will look at the owner manual. Just didn't seem to be the same as my friends old truck.

Actually quite easy. That's why so many are stolen and why many of us have tailgate locks that go around the passenger side hinge and keep the top main handle locked. There is also a thread showing how to install a Pop n Lock power tailgate lock that keeps the tailgate locked in synch with the power door locks.

I thought the EZ lift gates had a different way of being removed?

RT

There's a minor difference in how high you raise it, but still pivots easily. This is from my owners manual...

"2. With the tailgate about halfway open, lift the right edge of the tailgate from the lower pivot.

On vehicles with the tailgate assist feature, raise the tailgate nearly all the way to the closed position prior to removing the left edge.

3. Move the tailgate to the right and away to release the left edge."

what lock are you guys using on the hinge ?

There is this Master Lock that you can see here: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8253DAT-Tailgate/dp/B007OSL3DY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422223264&sr=8-3&keywords=tailgate+lock+silverado

And this McGard version (this needs an adapter that comes with some orders or you can get it from McGard)

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-76029-Tailgate-Lock/dp/B0043SCBD4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1422223264&sr=8-10&keywords=tailgate+lock+silverado

I will have to try next weekend again. I am trying to re-install the trim to seal up the tail gate and also to install a rear tailgate light bar. I do have one question for people who have installed the rear tail gate light. The 4 pin connector for me is on my bumper and I don't want to run the wire to it since it would look ugly. What do people do? Do you splice it in the back or is there an extra port you can use? How do people clean up the wiring and hide it.

Thanks

It's just a tight fit. I had to give mine a good tug.

Like others said just on an angle and it pulls out from the right side if your at the back.

Took mine off to put a tailgate seal in.

Make sure to go under the truck and unplug any plugs coming from it.

Perfect thank you very much! But would this allow you to have 2 4 pin connectors? The original spot and then one behind the bumper?

edit:

NVM....I see how this works now. I am new to all this, but now it makes sense on how it is connected.

Archived