New member, trying to decide between Sierra & Silverado after acci

tpup

Good morning! I owned a 2009 Sierra 1500 (since 2009) and actually chose it for its side curtain airbags as my children were younger at the time. On Wed. my truck saved my life as well as my 9 year old daughter's thanks to side curtain airbags, and OnStar who dispatched 911 automatically to our location and kept talking to us to keep us calm. We were on a back country road, and my phone was thrown somewhere in the vehicle. The truck flipped onto the passenger side and it solidly built frame overall, and the side airbags saved our lives I believe. (and we had our seatbelts on). (long story but I was in 4H on a few inches of snow...crested a hill and halfway down hill a van had stopped coming UP hill - she was stuck in the snow....my brakes locked, truck slid down hill, and I steered away from her into berm on side of road...wheel clipped the hill and flipped us onto passenger side) The insurance company sadly totalled my truck :( We are looking at 2015 Sierra's and 1500's. I need a crew cab, shorter bed is fine and I haul about 7000 lbs. a few times a month (steel horse trailer w/max 2 horses). This vehicle is also my personal vehicle for family and work (I am a Realtor in an area with alot of gravel roads). To say I loved my Sierra is an understatement! But we are also considering the Silverado as it was named truck of the year and seems to be a few thousand cheaper. I test drove BOTH yesterday and interestingly, I felt a smoother ride in the Sierra. I am VERY sensitive to motion sickness and felt that on the highway, the Silverado wasn't as smooth. Slightly more movement - extra slight motion, and "bounce" as I could feel it in my belly!! The Sierra I drove was a Denali (only avail. 1500 on the lot)...the Silverado had the leather....Would love ANY and all input on these 2 trucks. Are they truly "the same" engine, etc? I'm looking again at the 5.3 V8 with tow package. Would love a Denali but don't "need" that "stuff". Must have towing capacity, rear backup camera, lined bed, ideally leather seats, Onstar and safety features. I am SO grateful to my Sierra & Onstar.

Wow, amazing story. Yes the engine and transmission are the same in both trucks. Just from reading your post, I think you would be happier with the Sierra. If you bought the Silverado to save money, you would regret it on down the road. That being said, I like the Silverado better myself. Drive the Sierra at night, most people don't like the headlights, and of course take a test drive at or above highway speeds. Both are great trucks!! Good luck with your decision and welcome to the group.

Thanks so much! Great advice. Never thought to compare them at night. I loved my Sierra. The only trouble I had with it was the recurring oil sensor light, and it sucked down oil FAST when I would tow. Had a lifter replaced a few weeks ago and shortly before my accident, the engine light came on AGAIN, low oil pressure - SAME issue. I heard this is a recurring issue with the Sierra's. It was frustrating but didn't start occurring until around 70k miles. (mine had 97k miles) The Sierra saved our lives. It was rock solid in the accident and I feel loyal to it, but would consider the Silverado as it has the same features, safety, Onstar, etc. and seems a bit less price-wise. Tough choice. Thanks!!

I think its safe to say you really can't go wrong either way, both are nice trucks. I agree about the ride though, which is why I went with the GMC over the Chevy. Headlights at night are not an issue for me, they seem plenty bright. Was the Denali you test drove equipped with the 6.2L opposed to the 5.3? Just want to make sure you are comparing apples to apples

Welcome to the forum!

Steve hit it on the head, make sure and get it up to speed to check for any issues / annoyances. The lights on the sierra are a common complaint. The thing to remember too, is the GMC, although higher initial price, should have higher resale. I wanted an All terrain Sierra, but they were priced out of my range. Absolutely no complaints about my truck however.

Oh and as for the ride difference, the Denali may have had the Magnetic ride control. May be the difference you were seeing/feeling.

Archived