Deciding between 2015 Sierra & Silverado (1500) Help!

tpup

Good morning! Also posted under new members. I owned a 2009 Sierra 1500 (since 2009) and actually chose it for its side curtain airbags as my children were younger at the time. On Wed. my truck saved my life as well as my 9 year old daughter's thanks to side curtain airbags, and OnStar who dispatched 911 automatically to our location and kept talking to us to keep us calm. We were on a back country road, and my phone was thrown somewhere in the vehicle. The truck flipped onto the passenger side and it solidly built frame overall, and the side airbags saved our lives I believe. (and we had our seatbelts on). (long story but I was in 4H on a few inches of snow...crested a hill and halfway down hill a van had stopped coming UP hill - she was stuck in the snow....my brakes locked, truck slid down hill, and I steered away from her into berm on side of road...wheel clipped the hill and flipped us onto passenger side) The insurance company sadly totalled my truck :( We are looking at 2015 Sierra's and Silverado 1500's. I need a crew cab, shorter bed is fine and I haul about 7000 lbs. a few times a month (steel horse trailer w/max 2 horses). This vehicle is also my personal vehicle for family and work (I am a Realtor in an area with alot of gravel roads). To say I loved my Sierra is an understatement! But we are also considering the Silverado as it was named truck of the year and seems to be a few thousand cheaper. I test drove BOTH yesterday and interestingly, I felt a smoother ride in the Sierra. I am VERY sensitive to motion sickness and felt that on the highway, the Silverado wasn't as smooth. Slightly more movement - extra slight motion, and "bounce" as I could feel it in my belly!! The Sierra I drove was a Denali (only avail. 1500 on the lot)...the Silverado had the leather....Would love ANY and all input on these 2 trucks. Are they truly "the same" engine, etc? I'm looking again at the 5.3 V8 with tow package. Would love a Denali but don't "need" that "stuff". Must have towing capacity, rear backup camera, lined bed, ideally leather seats, Onstar and safety features. I am SO grateful to my Sierra & Onstar. I'd like to know major differences esp. in engine, "solid built" features, safety features and overall ride, noise and comfort. CREW CAB (normal size back doors!!) shorter bed is fine. I sometimes haul hay bales and smaller items. Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, glad you and your family are okay. That's the big story here!

As far as Silverado vs. Sierra, both are supposed to be mechanically identical. The Denali trim may have more sound proofing (not sure?) than other trims due to its luxury status. One difference pointed out fairly often on the board is the poor performance of the Sierra's projector headlights. Other than that if you take both trucks with both similar tire/wheel choices the ride and performance should be VERY close. I like the Sierra, but every time I look to trade my Chevy dealer is WAY less expensive to deal with, so it's a bowtie for me.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

I believe magnetic ride control is standard on the 2015 Denali, which accounts for the difference in smoothness you experienced. I don't think it's available on Silverado, or other Sierra trim levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If towing something that heavy, make sure to look for a truck with at least 3.42 gears or something lower (numerically higher). My high country came standard with 3.42 gears and I have the 5.3L. So far I've towed about 5k pounds and I didn't really feel it back there.

Glad you and your family are safe! Technology can save your life!

There's a difference in the suspension packages. If you search Z60 vs Z85 and Z71 there's some good information explaining the differences. The Denali comes standard with the Z60. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding there the only major changes between the Sierra and Silverado are in the mid and lower trim packages, i.e; LT/SLE. Once you get into the SLT/LTZ trims they are pretty much identical. Other wise they are pretty much identical mechanically and chassis wise.

Items included in Sierra SLE not standard in LT Trim

-Sierra's have a standard 8" screen. Silverado come with a 4.5"

-Backup camera is standard on Sierras

-Sierra come standard with carpeted wheel well covers on all four corners

-Sierra come standard with the wheel arch moldings

-Sierra come standard with the light kit in the truck bed.

Those are the only ones I can think up off the top of my head. If you really want the extra features I would just go with the GMC variant. Otherwise if you really like the looks of the Silverado you can probably find one with the options above.

Both are gonna be similar, as mentioned above the denali has a little extra with the magnetic ride, at 7000 PDS make sure u have 3.42's, I personally prefer the look of the sierra, only Chevy I've come to like is the Hugh country, either way there good choices, hopefully u have a rental go put some miles on and make sure u see all the diff packages, sounds like leather is a must for u but if its not the SLE All terrain has some great value considering what u get and what the next step up is, not sure where a similar package falls within the chevy

Thank you everyone. I knew there would be people here familiar with both trucks and also the differences in the ride and feel. Didn't know about the magnetic ride in the Denali but that could explain what I was feeling. I saw the High Country in the Silverado catalog and loved the look of that too. As for towing, my horse trailer is a bumper pull, about 4000 lbs. I often trailer with just one horse...depending on which one I take the added weight is 950 to 1100 lbs. But max would be another 1300 lb horse - my friend's mare. She's a tank :P Will definitely drive both some more before we decide.

Absolutely love my high country! No it doesn't have magnetic ride control but the ride is amazing. Very quiet in the cab, and the interior brown is what sold me on it. Only thing I would trade it in on is a high country with a regular length bed in that dark ruby color with a 6.2 and 8 speed. But i am completely satisfied with my 5.3L and 6 speed

I really Like my Sierra, except for the headlights. If you do go with the GMC, absolutely make sure to get one that has fog lights to supplement the lighting. Better yet, make sure to take a test drive after dark and take it on some dark twisty back roads to get your own opinion on them.

Sound like the "Max Trailering Package" would be ideal for you, except that the ride comfort would be rougher. You could opt for the 6.2 engine with the 3.42 gears and have plenty of towing power. Not sure how much smoother a ride there is between a standard 4x4 vs the Z-71 ???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived