Oil Drain Plug Size?

Dunc

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the oil drain plug size and thread pitch on the '15 Sierra? I'm wanting to buy a different plug before I come up on my first oil change.

Hopefully a magnet plug? Dorman makes great ones.

Ryan

Does anyone know the oil drain plug size and thread pitch on the '15 Sierra? I'm wanting to buy a different plug before I come up on my first oil change.

I installed a Fumoto valve during my last oil change. This is the model I used: http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f107n-valve.html

Thread size is 12mmx1.75

Cool, but what about a magnet to clear out any shavings?

You could get a small magnet and place it next to the drain. Then maybe remove it when draining which might draw out the shavings if any. My Jeep had a magnet inside the transmission pan from the factory.

I'm curious as to why you want to buy a different one.

I almost bought a Stahlbus drain valve for my last bike, and wanted something like it for the truck so I didn't have to screw with the plugs ever again.

Here was what I had in mind:

I like the valves for easier changes and with a tube I could get it right into the jug. But, I don't like not having a magnet and also they stick further out than the factory plug which isn't good, even for trucks.

If they could somehow get a magnet on the end and maybe make it low profile then I would consider. I don't mind getting dirty anyways lol. I never had a problem with the threads in the oil pan, even my 98 that had almost 145,000 miles on it when I got the '14.

Put a magnet on the filter, remove the filter and everything the magnet catches when you change oil, reinstall magnet. All your oil flows through the filter at some point.

I have a filter mag on one car and permanent motor magnets (they are curved like the filter) on the others. Some guys even gut computer hard drives for the magnets they contain to put them on the filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I've never used a valve on a car/truck. But I have changed oil in airplanes that had similar devices.

The one with the cap makes sense, but you're back to a cap replacing a plug. The main advantage of these seems to be the use of a hose. Certainly loosening a drain plug with a wrench a dozen times in the life of the truck isn't a hardship.

The only worry I have is breaking the thing off on a rock. I'll have to look at the location again to see if that's a valid concern.

You could get a small magnet and place it next to the drain. Then maybe remove it when draining which might draw out the shavings if any. My Jeep had a magnet inside the transmission pan from the factory.

I almost bought a Stahlbus drain valve for my last bike, and wanted something like it for the truck so I didn't have to screw with the plugs ever again.

Here was what I had in mind:

I went to the Stahlbus site. No 12mm x 1.75 drains. In fact, they don't even list GM vehicles at all.

Archived