2014+ interior light mods and add ons

I have seen a lot of different interior lighting and just want to get it all in one spot with details of installs

I.e. where u got the lights, how there hooked up, etc.

Simple but changed out my ambient light in the console to a blue one. Its just a prewired 3mm led with built in resistor.

a34a312eef0fa2b93e23e43b8294e1ca.jpg

Also installed foot well lighting. I'll try to find pics of that.

Edit: found one, bad picture but it is at night so you can see how bright the interior is.

71aa862035bfd4ea5c650b5dcaf07ffb.jpg

I have added footwell lights and lights in the center console. The footwell lights come on when the doors open and the red lights in the center console come on with the ambient light in the roof. The leds i used are just cheap led strips off amazon. To wire up the footwell lights i tapped into the grey wire in the picture below. And for the center console lights the purple and green wire. The center console lights also dim with the dimmer switch on the dash. You could always put a switch in there to turn them off when you need to. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

gallery_133438_2998_59490.jpg

gallery_133438_2998_80941.jpg

gallery_133438_2998_1876835.jpg

gallery_133438_2998_714302.jpg

Subscribing to see what everyone else is doing. I'll post up my interior light mods later. I have color changing floor lights wired to activate with the dash lights, an extra light in the center console since I didn't think the OEM one helped much since it always seemed to get blocked, and like most others, footwell lighting that activates with the domes.

Got them from here.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

Get most all of my stuff from these guys their great.

Just plugged the wires straight into the plug for the original led. Its a whole modual that you unplug and remove.

is the oznium LED brighter? I may get a red one. Or even look and see if I can find one that is color changing that I could possibly hook into my color changing floor lights floor lights.

It is brighter yes but the led is pretty directional as it comes. I actually sanded the dome down on the led which diffused it a little and spread out the light better. For the floors I would do an rgb setup which they also have if you want other colors

It is brighter yes but the led is pretty directional as it comes. I actually sanded the dome down on the led which diffused it a little and spread out the light better. For the floors I would do an rgb setup which they also have if you want other colors

I already have color changing floor lights. I was just thinking of getting a color changing light for that light so I can have it change colors, or at least be the same, as what I have my floor lights on.

I already have color changing floor lights. I was just thinking of getting a color changing light for that light so I can have it change colors, or at least be the same, as what I have my floor lights on.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah that would be pretty cool to match all the ambient light. Don't see why you couldn't wire them all together

Alright so as I said earlier I have a couple a few interior light mods and here they are:

Lets start with the simplest and most common, the footwell lighting that activates with the dome lights. I have lights in all 4 main seating positions. The driver light is 3M double sided taped to the air vent, the front passenger is stuck to the black plastic piece that hangs right below the dash and is about 2" from the front bulkhead, and the 2 rear passenger lights are stuck to the fan covers that are for the cooled seats (front row)

7E46DFA5-83CC-42FF-8374-3C47371301E3_zps

27628D25-9D47-4B3E-BF05-2EBA92C24EBF_zps

The pods are wire spliced into the dome light wire that can be found either behind the driver side pillar, or if you'd rather not go that way then you can find the same wire behind the black cover underneath the driver side dash to the far left. The wire is located in the top left connector. There are 2 grey wires next to one another. The SOLID grey wire on the right is the one that you are looking for.

172D8FEB-A1E6-4E32-8124-48635549B8BE_zps

Link to the light pods that I used: http://www.xkglow.com/60PC_Ultra_Bright_Motorcycle_LED_Engine_Neon_Kit_p/xk034001.htm

When I ordered the pods, I got (2) 8 packs of the extra pods. However when I ordered them they came with 32" of wire with a bare end for simple crimping or connecting to any ole wire, however, since I ordered my kit almost a year ago, they have changed the design so that now the pods are more easily compatible to the kits and make for a cleaner install when they are used for what they were intended for, an underglow system for a motorcycle. So I think that anyone who would like to use these pods just like I did would be better off by ordering the above linked kit since it will come with some wire for you to use. You will have extra wiring but you'll also have extra pods so, you can use them for other things.

Next we have my center console additional light (this uses the same light pod that I used for the footwell lighting)

This is a very simple, quick add on but it is EXTREMELY helpful, especially if you are like me and have a few papers in the small storage been on the forward bulkhead of the console which always seem to block the OEM LED console light.

The light pod that I used is the same exact one that I used for the footwell lighting that activates with the dome lights.

I don't have any pictures of how it was installed/wired in but I will explain it as best I can.

The pod itself if 3M double sided tapped to the front bulkhead about 1" below the small storage compartment on that same bulkhead. If you clear out the center console and remove the rubber mat at the bottom you will find a removable panel that is held in place by a half dozen philips head screws. Remove the screws and the panel and you can drop your wires for the pod down into there space below the console. From there you will want to unplug the OEM light so that its easier to tap into the wiring for power and ground. From there all you have to do is reassemble everything and you are good to go.

Before:

AFFA2C7F-F814-4460-851D-207725227AE3_zps

After:

9D01DFF0-888B-47F6-9FE9-CB5084AF42ED_zps

And lastly we have the color changing floor lights.

The lights can be found here: http://www.urban-neon-car-lights.com/product.php?productid=111939&cat=1031&page=1

I've had 2 sets of these lights, but they were in different vehicles. I had one in my Yukon before I sold it and I wasn't sure if I was going to put them in the new truck, I didn't think I would but here we are! These lights are great and I've never had a single issue with them.

Heres the lights in action:

The lights can be kept on one color, dimmed, strobed, fade in and out, flash from one color to the next, fade from one to the next, or turned on/off all via a wireless remote that comes in the kit.

The only issue with getting these is that the driver side strip is in an awkward position. I didn't feel like trying to make a place for it by fabbing up something to put it out of the way although it could probably easily be done.

And the last bit of info in this post, the color change floor lights are wired to get power from the dash lights. So the lights can technically be left on so you don't have to turn them on and off whenever you get in and out of the truck since they will only actually turn on when the dash lights do.

The wire for this is the yellow wire under the same black cover under the driver side dash. It can be found in the picture I posted for the dome light wire.

The dimmer dial on the dash next to the headlight switch that dims the dash lights will also dim the floor lights

Hope this helps and isn't too much info. I tried to give as much info for these mods so that anyone interested knows how easy they are and everything that is involved. If anyone has any questions or needs more pictures just let me know

• 2 months later...

Archived