Bilstein shocks thread

Hello all! We have been away from the forums, super busy with our new retail store in Las Vegas..

We heard from Bilstein on Monday and wanted to updated everyone on the status of the 6112s.

The new 5160 Rear Reservoir Shocks are now released & in stock and shipping! They are 1.5" longer than the 5100 rear shock and will accommodate up to a 2.5" rear lift block!

90b9d4da-16f1-48b8-b6f5-45082ee00786-420

PN Bil 25-242515

$340 a pair delivered

Thank you for the update!

What other rear shock would you recommend with the 6112's up front? Maybe the 5100 rear shocks?

• Like 1

Just bought a 17' z71 1500. Planning on doing a bilstien 5100 swap on the highest setting. I know I can easily fit 285/70r17, but I'm wondering if anyone has put on 285/75r17. I'll be expecting some rub but I'm hoping it's just on the inner fender wall. Any advice or input?

Also, my buddy has 295/70 17 that I'll just throw on to see how they fit. I heard with some offset they may hit the sway bar. Has anyone installed these?

Edited by JeenyusSB

Thank you for the update!

What other rear shock would you recommend with the 6112's up front? Maybe the 5100 rear shocks?

5100s will work great as well. The 5160 is very similar in ride quality, but is slightly longer to accommodate larger rear block lifts as well as having the reservoir for added oil capacity.

As soon as we have the part number from Bilstein for the 6112s, we will be contacting all of those on our preorder list as well as posting up pre-sale info for all.

• Like 1

Very nice! That is exactly what I was wanting. I thought they'd given up on the 6112. Haven't heard anything about them for quite some time.

Typical Bilstein. Ive done about 20 of these releases for them now over the past ten years. Always the same story... but Id rather have them release a product that is 100% ready for market then rush to get something out and deal with problems down the line (cough first gen fox 2.0s cough)

Just bought a 17' z71 1500. Planning on doing a bilstien 5100 swap on the highest setting. I know I can easily fit 285/70r17, but I'm wondering if anyone has put on 285/75r17. I'll be expecting some rub but I'm hoping it's just on the inner fender wall. Any advice or input?

Also, my buddy has 295/70 17 that I'll just throw on to see how they fit. I heard with some offset they may hit the sway bar. Has anyone installed these?

The 285/75R17 is a 33.8" tire, the 285/70R17 is a 32.7" tire. Width is the same. The 295/70R17 is 33.25" tall so that shouldnt be an issue, but its also about .4" wider than the 285s are so you may rub the control arm if you are running stock wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have B1500's at top setting now. I was thinking about putting back down to factory setting, then installing RC 3.5". Will this work??

I decided that the 1.75" isn't enough and don't want to get rid of my Bilsteins

Edited by Bwoodkid

How much of a ride quality difference do you notice with these over factory oem?

Takes bumps a lot better, there's a road I drive on every day that's bad. Before I would have to slow down a bit because it would make the rear end hop to the side. Now it glides over and no bucking at all. Takes turns better. I would say much better ride over the Ranchos I had before.

Thinking of swapping my all my Rancho's for Bilstein 5100's on my 2017 Silverado 1500. I've read that the Bilstein's are more off-road based and aren't the best option for pulling. Has anyone had any experience pulling with the Bilstein's vs stock? Wondering if I go 5100's up front to level it out and something stiffer on the back.

Also I'm new here but love the website. These forum's helped sway me to Chevy when buying my truck. It's a HUGE upgrade from the falling apart Jeep I was driving.

Thinking of swapping my all my Rancho's for Bilstein 5100's on my 2017 Silverado 1500. I've read that the Bilstein's are more off-road based and aren't the best option for pulling. Has anyone had any experience pulling with the Bilstein's vs stock? Wondering if I go 5100's up front to level it out and something stiffer on the back.

Also I'm new here but love the website. These forum's helped sway me to Chevy when buying my truck. It's a HUGE upgrade from the falling apart Jeep I was driving.

Do it, you will not regret it! The Bilsteins are much more predictable and ride much better. (Even at Max lift up front)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you running the 5100's front & rear?

Yep front and rear, I also installed Airlift "Ride Control" #59565. Only because with the truck now leveled, it dropped lower in the rear. I only have to put 60psi in and she sits nice and level when I tow. Ok, so I guess that's the only issue.

Edited by Bwoodkid
  • Like 1

Yep front and rear, I also installed Airlift "Ride Control" #59565. Only because with the truck now leveled, it dropped lower in the rear. I only have to put 60psi in and she sits nice and level when I tow. Ok, so I guess that's the only issue.

Do you notice and ride difference when not towing with this kit, at the 5-10min psi? I have a new kit sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I have the 3" rear blocks and bilstein rears as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk